- Requisition # 2023-133927
- StatusFull Time with Benefits
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Paramedic is responsible for providing Advanced Life Support (ALS) services. Provides quality pre-hospital care to individuals of all age groups when delivering emergency care and transportation. Assures the safe and prompt transportation of patients while ensuring that the care is performed in a timely, professional manner. This is a professional job that must remain flexible and may include working in hazardous conditions and in uncontrolled environments while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). The position requires the use of critical thinking skills to assess, triage, communicate, treat and transport patients of all ages and populations in various settings, including emergency and non-emergency transport, standby and special events, and other settings where ALS services and/or care by the paramedic may be provided. The paramedic must be able to integrate care seamlessly with all other emergency agencies including police, fire, other ALS and BLS, as well as healthcare providers in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Patient care reports must be completed on each patient. Daily operational tasks are also required in support of the department. All actions must be in accordance with all the State of New Jersey Guidelines in (N.J.A.C. 8:41) regarding Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics (MICP) / Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN) and in compliance with HMH protocols, policies, and procedures for the provision of ALS services.
A day in the life of a Paramedic at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Responds to calls in a timely manner.
2. Assists and supports all public safety personnel and other healthcare providers when rendering patient care.
3. Performs assessments and utilizes critical thinking to identify a patient's condition and determine a course of treatment. Assesses nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
4. Identifies needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
5. Provides effective pre-hospital care by obtaining essential data from the patient, patient's family and other available sources. Completes a thorough physical examination so that appropriate interventions can be performed as indicated. Observes, records, and reports all pertinent medical information to the medical control physician in an organized manner. Updates the medical control physician, or designee, as necessary.
6. Attends to the needs of the patient in a timely manner, keeping the patient comfortable in all weather conditions during transport.
7. Operates motor vehicles safely and professionally, in compliance with all laws and rules governing same, abiding by HMH policies and/or guidelines for emergency vehicle operation, and with due regard for the public, alternating driving responsibilities in a reasonable fashion with partners.
8. Performs and documents a daily vehicle and equipment check and walk around of the vehicle to check for any hazards before operating the vehicle.
9. Maintains adequate fuel levels and fluid levels (if applicable) of vehicles.
10. Maintains the vehicle interior in a clean manner and removes trash and other debris.
11. Demonstrates the safe and appropriate use of all vehicle equipment. Appropriately parks and secures the vehicle when left unattended.
12. Operates wireless communication devices in a professional manner, to accept and acknowledge dispatches, to obtain medical control, etc.
13. Cooperates and assists with the Quality Assurance program utilized by HMH to evaluate the overall quality of care given, to document trends, to resolve problems and to monitor patient outcomes.
14. Provides complete verbal handoff when transferring care to a receiving healthcare provider as per HMH policy.
15. Completes a patient care report in a timely manner for each patient contact according to HMH policy and applicable State and Federal statutes and regulations, alternating documentation responsibilities in a reasonable fashion with partners.
16. Maintains accurate and complete documentation of all controlled dangerous substances in accordance with HMH and departmental policies and guidelines.
17. Responsible for routine troubleshooting, maintenance and cleaning of EMS equipment, vehicles, and station facilities. Promptly reports all equipment failures and/or problems in a manner consistent with department guidelines and HMH incident reporting procedures.
18. Documents and reports all unusual events/incidents/occurrences in accordance with HMH policy and department-specific procedures.
19. Maintains par levels of necessary supplies, including all equipment and supplies stocked in vehicles and quarters, cleaning and repairing as necessary, throughout the shift.
20. Properly disposes of soiled linen and regulated medical waste in accordance with HMH policy.
21. Provides education within the scope and training of a paramedic and as directed by leadership.
22. Responsible for baseline and continuing knowledge of HMH's policies and procedures, and all applicable State and Federal statutes and regulations concerning emergency medical services, advanced life support services, paramedic certification, and other topics relevant to the role of a paramedic at HMH.
23. Responsible for ensuring copies of all required certifications are current and submitted to department leadership in accordance with HMH policy, and for notifying leadership immediately if a required certification cannot be validated at any time for any reason.
24. Maintains clinical competency by participating in all required training and individualized patient care quality reviews, as per HMH policy and practices, as well as state and federal licensure and certification standards.
25. Provides excellent customer service and initiates service recovery when necessary.
26. Serves as a preceptor for paramedic students when assigned. Serves as a Field Training Officer when assigned.
27. May serve in the role of an Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT-B).
29. Behaves in accordance with HMH Code of Conduct and Standards of Behavior, conducting oneself in a professional and dignified manner at all times, so as to preserve the public's perception of HMH as New Jersey's leading healthcare provider.
29. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High School diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED), and/or GED equivalent programs.
2. Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100 or Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100.b or Introduction to Incident Command System for Healthcare/Hospitals or National Incident Management System.
3. Incident Command System, ICS-200 or ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents or Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations.
4. ICS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction or NIMS-700 National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction.
5. IS-800.D: National Response Framework, An Introduction
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Associate's degree.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJ Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic (NJ MICP) or Nationally Registered Paramedic (NRP) or NJ Registered Professional Nurse (RN) with Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN) endorsement.
2. AHA Basic Life Support Health Care Provider Certification or BLS Instructor Certification.
3. Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification or ACLS Instructor Certification.
4. Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certification or PALS Instructor Certification.
5. Valid Driver's License from a USA state.
6. CEVO Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator training or EVOC Emergency Vehicle Operations Course within 90 days of hire.
7. HUMC Only: International Trauma Life Support or Prehospital Trauma Life Support or Tactical Casualty Combat Care or Tactical Emergency Casualty Care certification within 6 months of hire.
8. HUMC Only: Hazardous Materials Awareness and EMS Operations within 6 months of hire.
1. Provides care to the ALS patient that involves lifting of patients, carrying of equipment and the climbing in and out of ambulances and tight spaces.
2. Lifts a minimum of 100 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 100 lbs. and stands a minimum of 4 hours a day.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Start ExploringSee the area you’ll be working in and get an idea of what your daily routine around the office can be like. Learn More
Awards We’ve Received
US News & World Report 2023
- HUMC - #1 Hospital in NJ & #5 in NY Metro Area
US News & World Report 2023
- Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital - #1 Children’s Hospital in NJ
US News & World Report 2023
- JSUMC - #6 Hospital in NJ
2023 & 2022 Magnet Designations
for 9 HMH Institutions
Newsweek 2022 Best Hospitals USA
- HUMC - #57
Newsweek 2022 America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers
Blake Recovery Center at Carrier Clinic - #2
Diversity Inc. 2023
Top Hospital and Health Systems
Becker’s Hospital Review 2022
- Top Places to Work in Healthcare
JOBS FOR YOU
You have no recently viewed jobs
Ob/Gyn Physician - Deal LakeHMHMG SPECIALTY CARE 570 Asbury Park, New Jersey
Medical Receptionist- Oncology (Physician Practice)HMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Youth Residential Technician- Psychiatric Unit- Belle Mead - PT/NightsHMH CARRIER CLINIC INC Belle Mead, New Jersey
Youth Residential Technician- Belle Mead- FTHMH CARRIER CLINIC INC Belle Mead, New Jersey
WE KEEP GETTING BETTER
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we help our patients live better, healthier lives – and we help one another succeed. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how our team members support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we’re ready to transform health care and advance our mission to serve as a leader of positive change.
From roles that are right for you to new opportunities, join our talent community and stay up to date with job openings and more.