- Requisition # 2022-111256
- StatusPer Diem
This health care professional is a physician assistant (PA) on the neurosurgery staff of the Neuroscience Department at JFK whose primary function is the co-management of patients (i.e., their diagnosis and treatment) under the supervision of the neurosurgical and pain management physicians within the recognized standards of practice as defined by the NJ State Department of Health.
- Inpatient responsibilities: In cooperation with the attending physician, the PA admits patients to the hospital on behalf of the admitting neurosurgeon, performs consultations, and discharges neurosurgical patients. The PA performs daily rounds on neurosurgical inpatients and consultations in the ICU and medical/surgical units, formulating treatment plans in consultation with the responsible neurosurgeon. The PA will perform preoperative and postoperative evaluations of patients as directed by the neurosurgeon. The PA will participate in the informed consent process as necessary for identified surgical cases. The PA will assist with neurosurgical procedures within their training and experience at the discretion of the neurosurgeon. Additional procedures, including but not limited to shunt tap, CSF specimen collection, lumbar puncture, ventriculostomy placement, dressing changes, placement of fiducials, suture placement and suture removal will be performed by the PA within their training and experience at the discretion of the neurosurgeon. These responsibilities will apply to each facility at which a neurosurgeon has privileges and at the discretion of the neurosurgical team. Assignment of responsibilities including days of the week and specific roles will be in cooperation with and at the discretion of the neurosurgeons/designated team lead.
- Outpatient responsibilities: The PA will evaluate neurosurgical patients and consultations in the emergency room on behalf of the covering neurosurgeon. The PA will assist in the ambulatory clinic evaluations as assigned by the neurosurgery/pain management team. The PA will serve as a back-up and clinical resource for the neurosurgical/pain management ambulatory care nurse(s) assigned to outpatient phone calls and management of outpatient clinical issues including but not limited to reviewing imaging, laboratory and neurophysiological test results. The PA will also serve as a clinical resource for the OR scheduling and pre-certification staff. These responsibilities will apply to each facility at which a neurosurgeon has an ambulatory clinic and at the discretion of the neurosurgical team. Assignment of responsibilities including days of the week and specific roles will be in cooperation with and at the discretion of the neurosurgeons/designated team lead.
- Documentation responsibilities: The PA will ensure the timely documentation of patient encounters in either the electronic or written medical record, as applicable, in adherence with hospital requirements and recognized industry standards. Admitting history and physical examination, admitting, preoperative and postoperative orders, progress notes, and discharge summaries will be entered into the medical record by the PA at the discretion of the attending physician. The PA will meet all obligations with respect to credentialing for hospital privileges and insurance participation and maintain said privileges and participation in good standing. The PA will maintain their required licensures/certifications in good-standing including the necessary continuing medical education required to maintain said licensures/certifications. The PA team will work in concert with the supervising physicians/designated team lead to ensure adequate coverage is in place for inpatient and outpatient responsibilities, call coverage, vacation absences, and CME activities.
- General responsibilities: The PA will assist in communication with referring physician offices, consulting/admitting physicians, transfer hospitals, emergency personnel, vendors and contractors to ensure surgical coordination of patient care. The PA will help coordinate all needed ancillary and hospital services. The PA will help educate patients and their families on illness management and formulate plans for implementing all needed medical treatments and interventions including assisting patients and their families in identifying and utilizing resources which will lead to optimum outcomes. The PA will participate in division and department meetings, quality improvement activities, educational programs and other activities as determined by the neurosurgical team.
- Other duties and/or projects may be assigned at the discretion of the neurosurgery team.
- The PA will adhere to HMH organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Contacts: Regular contact with medical personnel, patients, families and accompanying visitors.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Graduate of a U.S. school accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on the Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA)
- Masters preferred
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- At least two years of practice as a surgical Physician Assistant
- Neuroscience experience preferred
- EPIC experience preferred
- NJ Physician Assistant License - P.A.
- NJ Controlled Dangerous Substances Physician Certification - C.D.S.
- Drug Enforcement Agency Certificate - DEA
- Basic and Advanced Life Support
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Start ExploringSee the area you’ll be working in and get an idea of what your daily routine around the office can be like. Learn More
Awards We’ve Received
US News & World Report 2023
- HUMC - #1 Hospital in NJ & #5 in NY Metro Area
US News & World Report 2023
- Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital - #1 Children’s Hospital in NJ
US News & World Report 2023
- JSUMC - #6 Hospital in NJ
2023 & 2022 Magnet Designations
for 9 HMH Institutions
Newsweek 2022 Best Hospitals USA
- HUMC - #57
Newsweek 2022 America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers
Blake Recovery Center at Carrier Clinic - #2
Diversity Inc. 2023
Top Hospital and Health Systems
Becker’s Hospital Review 2022
- Top Places to Work in Healthcare
JOBS FOR YOU
You have no recently viewed jobs
Ob/Gyn Physician - Deal LakeHMHMG SPECIALTY CARE 570 Asbury Park, New Jersey
Medical Assistant-Oncology Medical SpecialistHMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Medical Receptionist- Oncology (Physician Practice)HMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Teacher of Social Studies - Full TimeEAST MOUNTAIN SCHOOL Belle Mead, New Jersey
WE KEEP GETTING BETTER
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we help our patients live better, healthier lives – and we help one another succeed. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how our team members support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we’re ready to transform health care and advance our mission to serve as a leader of positive change.
From roles that are right for you to new opportunities, join our talent community and stay up to date with job openings and more.