Senior Accountant I
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
1. Reconciliation, analysis and adjustment of general ledger accounts are completed on a timely basis. Ensures accuracy of account balances. Ensures account activity complies with accounting standards. Use online research and review of original record sources to evaluate appropriateness of account balance. Maintains accurate detail in support of the balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other documents that project the organization's financial position. Uses sound statistical methods to recognize and ensure accuracy. Provides completed account analysis and reconciliation of cash on a daily basis and investigates to supervisor/manager for review any discrepancies in a timely manner.
2. Routinely review vendor statements for key vendors to identify any potential delays in payment or other issues. Ensures that credits detailed on the vendor statements are utilized. Inputs accounts payable data and verifies for accuracy. Computer input is performed completely, accurately and in a timely manner. All information is verified and open invoice register is presented to manager for approval of the check runs prior to printing. Ensure that information input is verified against the invoice. Match the invoice, check request and check copy to cancel the voucher package and prepare for filing. Ensure check runs are performed in accordance with the established scheduled days and that checks are sealed and mailed. Maintain and review vendor master file to ensure that information is current, not duplicative and complete and accurate.
3. Prepares assigned areas of annual budget, including capital budget, portions of operating budget, analysis of the budget, and the budget package in accordance with due dates. Upload the annual budgets into the accounting software.
4. Written and verbal communication is done in a manner that is clear, concise, timely, and accurately conveys the message. Language and content should be grammatically correct, and presented in a way that it easily understood. Communicates with financial institutions, tax authorities, external auditors, corporate office, and others, as needed, to correctly account for and report financial information. Prepare and distribute monthly close calendar communicating when deliverables are expected.
5. Ensures that all reports generated provide meaningful and timely information. Provides customers with timely, accurate, and thorough responses to their inquiries. All audit work papers are completed and analyzed within appropriate time frames to allow for effective and efficient audits. Interacts with internal and external auditors as necessary.
6. Maintains accurate accounting of all cash on hand as well as detailed records pertaining to cash transfers between accounts and wires to outside agencies (i.e., payroll withholdings).
7. Seeks guidance from Senior Team Members or Leaders when further clarification is needed.
8. Prepares and completes accurate journal entries by closing date on monthly basis: Compile/attach appropriate supporting documentation. Ensure approvals are obtained prior to filing. Entries entered timely in general ledger.
9. Identifies accounting problems and internal control weaknesses, researches possible solutions and presents recommendations and conclusions to Senior Accountant and/or Management for further evaluation.
10. Complete and accurate filing of: Federal/State payroll tax returns, quarterly state sales/use tax returns, Federal/State corporate tax returns and annual reports.
11. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
12. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
2. A minimum of four to six years' accounting experience.
3. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
4. Excellent communication skills.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Prior hospital or healthcare experience.
2. Prior experience with ERP software: PeopleSoft Financial and/or Lawson.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Certified Public Accountant.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.