Physical Therapy Assistant
Responsible for providing professional rehabilitation therapy, under the direct supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist to patients in their homes. This includes implementing an individual goal-oriented, established therapy plan of care, in accordance with the policies and procedures of the organization and external organizations.
- Treatment Planning – Contribute to the development of an individualized treatment program based on the observation of the patient and caregiver. Provide ongoing treatment which is focused on time-oriented, functional and measurable short and long term goals established by the Physical Therapist. Monitor the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions and alter treatment appropriately.
- Delivery of Care – Develop a rapport and mutual respect with the patient to foster an optimum environment for goal achievement. Implement the treatment plan using correct and appropriate clinical skills and techniques while maintaining safety in the home for both the patient and/or caregiver. Assure patient and/or caregiver focus on goals and discharge plan.
- Case Documentation – Submit documentation per organization policy and assure it supports the need for continued skilled care in the home. Assure documentation includes details of communication and supervisory visits with the managing Physical Therapist.
- Patient/Caregiver Education/Program Maintenance – Provide comprehensive education to patients and/or caregivers based upon their identified needs in a timely manner that they are able to understand. Communicate effectively with patients and caregivers clearly in a succinct and easily understood manner. Contribute to the education of patient and/or caregiver in a written home exercise program. Document related treatment accurately and precisely in electronic medical record (EMR).
- Plan of Care Maintenance – Assure that service delivery follows the frequency and duration on the physician’s plan of care established by the managing Physical Therapist.
- Coordination of Services – Act as liaison amongst physician, Physical Therapy, nursing, MCP and other members of the health care team to ensure effective interdisciplinary coordination and communication, and appropriate input for resource referrals. Report patient-related concerns to supervising therapist in a timely manner. Discuss patient status regularly with supervising therapist to allow for progression/modification of treatment as needed to report patient concerns.
- Case Communication – Document case communication with other members of the health care team, as appropriate, throughout the patient’s course of care by use of secure messaging within the EMR or other available means.
- Discharge Planning – Participate in discharge planning throughout the patient’s course of care. Address problem areas appropriately with both the patient and managing Physical Therapist in order to progress towards achievement of established goals.
- Compliance of Scope of Practice – Comply with the scope of practice for the PTA, including review of PT evaluation with supervising therapist prior to first revisit. PT will re-assess patient every six visits or fourteen days.
- Correspondence – Respond to all voice mail and secure messages in a timely manner.
- Scheduling – Assure scheduling requirements are completed in an accurate and timely manner by updating and submitting new and changed schedules through the appropriate system. Meet productivity standards on a consistent basis. Communicate effectively with patients to ensure timeliness of scheduled visits.
- Meetings – Participate in team meetings, in-services, interdisciplinary meetings, training programs and caseload reviews.
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) – Have knowledge of and ability to use and assist patients with varying DME as a component of the plan of care including, but not limited to, wheelchairs, mechanical lifts, slings, splints, prosthesis and orthoses, hospital beds and ambulatory devices.
- Completion of Two-Year Physical Therapist Assistant Program Obtained in a CAPTE Accredited Two-Year Associate Degree Program
- 1 Year Clinical Experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.