Outpatient Coder IV-Full Time-Day
The Outpatient Coder IV is responsible for accurately abstracting data following the Official International Classification of Diseases (ICD)-10-Clinical Modification (CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Guidelines for Coding and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) directives across Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) network. Performs data entry of required abstracted patient information into the electronic medical record system. Queries physicians when appropriate.
- Assigns codes for reimbursements, research and compliance with regulatory requirements utilizing guidelines and coding conventions.
- Accounts for coding and abstracting of patient encounters, including diagnostic and procedural information, significant reportable elements, and complications.
- Analyzes medical records and identifies documentation deficiencies.
- Reviews and verifies documentation supports existing diagnoses, procedures and other charges.
- Identifies reportable elements, complications, and other quality measures. Communicates with physicians to clarify information via the physician query process
- Assign CPT, HCPCS and ICD-10-CM codes.
- Knowledge of and ability to address National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) and National Coverage Determinations (NCD) / Local coverage determinations (LCD) edits.
- Maintains required productivity and quality requirements.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- High School Diploma or higher
- Minimum of 4+ years of coding experience, Trauma Level 1 and Academic Teaching facility.
- Strong understanding of physiology, medical terms and anatomy.
- Proficiency in computer skills including typing speed and accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms.
- Proficient in coding Ancillary Accounts such as Diagnostic Radiology and Cardiology
- Proficient in coding Emergency Department and Infusion based services such as Oncology.
- Proficient in coding Observation and Procedure Room such as Endoscopies and Cardiac Cath.
- Proficient in coding all outpatient services especially Operating Room procedures.
- An approved American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.