Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU) Dispatcher
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The MICU Dispatcher is responsible for the expeditious and efficient flow of incoming and outgoing telephone and radio transmissions for Emergency Medical Services.
A day in the life of a MICU Dispatcher at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Initiates the prompt, accurate and courteous handling of message traffic in a professional manner.
- Receives all telephone and radio emergency calls requesting Advanced and Basic Life Support services for Bergen/Passaic and northeast Morris County, as well as mutual aid requests from other agencies.
- Answers 911 line and provides call screening and pre-arrival instructions for calls requiring Emergency Medical Services.
- Records by mean of handwritten and computer entries, those requests for Advanced and Basic Life Support Services.
- Dispatches Emergency Medical Vehicles by means of radio and telephone equipment provided, in accordance with established protocols.
- Assigns available telemetry radio channel patches, notifying hospital medical control physicians per established protocols, and monitoring communication from Advanced Life Support Units to hospital for effective communications.
- Maintains status and location of all Emergency Medical Vehicles and personnel at all times.
- Maintains a link from the scene of external disaster sites to hospitals about to receive patients and maintains proper patient log sheets per established protocols.
- Maintains hospital diversion logs and phones announcement system with periodical updates when necessary.
- Troubleshoots all telemetry and radio problems and notify the appropriate service agency for repair.
- Responds to external disaster sites as directed by the Department Coordinator.
- Operates communication center under the Rules and Regulations of the Federal Communications Commission and the New Jersey State Department of Health. Office of Emergency Medical Services, as pertains to the function of a communications operator.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proper knowledge of the radio system and its components.
- Proper understanding of radio broadcast procedures.
- Familiarization with FCC Rules and Regulations.
- Incident Command System, ICS-200 or ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents or Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Knowledge in Fiber Optic T1/T3 carrier service and prior EMS Communication experience.
- Knowledge of County geo-political boundaries, major highways, and landmarks.
- Successful completion of New Jersey State Police Hazardous Materials Awareness.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification New Jersey or Current New Jersey or National Registry EMT-B Certification or New Jersey EMT Instructor or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians - Basic Certification or Emergency Medical Technician Certification New York or Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic Certification.
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher Certification (NJ State Approved) or Emergency Dispatcher Q.
- Basic Communications Certification or Basic Communications Instructor Certification.
- Valid Driver's License from a USA state.
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification or BLS Instructor Trainer.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.