Per Diem Patient Safety Sitter, Emergency Department
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
A day in the life of a Patient Safety Sitter at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Under direction of the RN, provides a safe environment for patients whose behavior warrants observation, for “at risk for falls”
- Utilizes appropriate communication channels; obtains report and communicates all changes in behavior to the RN
- Continuously observes the patient within eyesight range at arm’s length and by maintaining presence in the room
- Responds to patients attempts to ambulate and get up by first putting on call light and calling out for help
- Arranges scheduled breaks and meals with RN
- Observes and reports patients behaviors and changes to RN promptly
- Ensure patient satisfaction and positive patient communications outcomes by promoting concepts of Pride in Caring
- Introduces self, greets and orients patient to role of sitter
- Communicates patient’s needs, requests and complaints of pain to RN promptly
- Keeps patient informed of status of requests
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of patient and information
- Provides competent observation to patients and intervenes appropriately for fall risk utilizing safe patient approach
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association (AHA) is required prior to performing patient observation. Training will be provided as part of new hire orientation.
- Previous work experience in a hospital setting preferred
- Experience as a Patient Care Technician, Nursing Assistant, or Medical Assistant preferred
- Experience as an EMT or Nurse's Aide Training preferred or
- Current Nursing or Psychology student preferred
- The ability to stay mobile according to the patients' movement including the ability to stand for periods of time is required
- Must be able to work in situations with isolation precautions
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing patient needs, a strong sense of accountability for improving the lives of our patients and their caregivers, an exceptional focus on teamwork, dedication to ongoing education and the ability and passion to deliver the highest quality of care and service based on a strong sense of patient focus are all required
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.