How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Interpreter serves as a liaison to the language needs of the community (including Spanish-speaking and other) by providing interpreting services in the Emergency Department. The purpose of this position is to help bridge linguistic and cultural barriers to assure appropriate communication, delivery of health care and support services.
- Assists patients/families and providers to engage in open and clear communication
- Communicates clearly, courteously, and responsibly with patients, families, providers, hospital staff and all visitors.
- Consistently maintains a high level of confidentiality and non-bias behavior.
- Provides accurate oral interpretation services for Spanish-speaking patients and families.
- Utilizes the appropriate standards and approach to the interpretative process.
- Conducts purposeful rounding for outcomes on all patients/families utilizing departmental approved scripting
- Communicates observations affecting compliance to healthcare team.
- Demonstrates consistently the Pride in Caring, customer service philosophy and policy.
- Demonstrates the ability to work under pressure with diverse members of the team, patients and families.
- Complies with established departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to speak English and Spanish (or other language) fluently and to work effectively with Hispanic (or other specific population.)
- Minimum Education: High School graduate or Equivalent, college a plus
- At least 1 year as an interpreter, preferably in healthcare or related field
- Must have in depth knowledge of medical terminology (successfully pass medical terminology course)
- Training and/or experience in medical interpretation via face to face or phone (successfully pass interpreter course).
- Knowledge and ability to articulate the cultural and perceptual factors that effect communication between patient, families, providers and interpreter.
- Demonstrate ability to relate to people in a warm and consistently friendly manner.
- Teamwork orientation, commitment to customer service excellence and collaborative approach required.
- Ability to remain flexible
- Ability to exercise tact and judgment regarding personal/confidential matters.
- Performs work in a professional, ethical and reliable fashion.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.