Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community.
Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Orthopaedic Nurse Navigator (ONN) is an advocate, educator and experience guide for the surgical patient, as well as family members, through the total joint replacement continuum. The ONN is responsible for facilitating the patient experience by guiding patients across the care continuum. The ONN is the primary point of contact with the patient and serves as the intermediary between the patient and the care provider or hospital resource, responsible for patient education, scheduling, care transition, discharge, post treatment follow up, etc.
A day in the life of a Nurse Navigator at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Manage the transition of patients across the continuum of care, or within a specific clinical setting. Responsibilities may include: a. Initial and on-going care coordination across all providers as patient transitions to surgical continuum. b. Ensure appropriate pre-op preparation for every patient. c. Assist physicians in the coordination of patient care with other health care professionals, including non-affiliated community resources, if necessary. d. Follow-up with patient and other providers to discuss the patients response to treatment. e. Provide accurate, on-going documentation of navigation and care coordination activities on each patient. f. Facilitate communication between patients and healthcare providers. g. Provides pre- and post-op education and educational resources to patients and their families. h. Supports the patient and family in coping with the psychological aspects of their surgery and diagnosis. I. Refers as appropriate to collaborative care areas. j. Eliminates barriers for patients to optimize care.
- Collaborate with other service line members.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between the patient, their family members and the care team.
- Provide effective education and support to patient and their family members.
- Provides community education to raise public awareness.
- Serve as a source of feedback for active review of program protocols, care plans and service offerings.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of data, metrics and other information to populate and manage the departmental scorecard.
- Effectively use office management and telephony hardware and software.
- Serve as a clinical resource to non-clinicians, as appropriate.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- 5 years nursing experience in orthopaedics.
- Good computer skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- Patient education experience.
- Proven working relationship with surgeons.
- Excellent organizational skills, able to manage a full suite of tasks and manage across numerous priorities and to service line established deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Employs empathy, patients, understanding, courtesy and kindness to all patients, their families, physicians and other hospital staff.
- Able to focus on long-term goals while managing day-to-day operations
- Exercises initiative, creativity and courage to act in the best interest of the patient
- Confidence to interact with stakeholders at all levels, including patients/ family, co-workers, providers, physicians and administration.
- Confident, leader, team builder, relationship-oriented.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Total Joint Replacement experience is preferred.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Nurse Navigator Certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.