The Veterinarian will serve as the Attending Veterinarian for the Animal Facility at the Center for Innovation and Discovery at Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH). This position will be responsible for providing oversight and care for research and teaching animals within CDI and providing timely updates regarding operations of the Animal Facility to the IO and Chief Scientific Officer.
- Provides oversight of the CDI centralized laboratory animal program and facilities.
- Assure operations of the centralized laboratory animal program are consistent with the Public Health Service (PHS) Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the Animal Welfare Act
- Monitors all HMH animal research for compliance with applicable rules, regulations, and policies.
- Oversight of care and use of research and teaching animals, including a program of veterinary care and preventive medicine.
- Reviews all animal use proposals and facilitates timely approval of all IACUC proposals submitted by HMH researchers
- Provides technical assistance, veterinary medical care, and diagnostic service for all animals in the CDI including the ABSL-3.
- Provides guidance and assists in arrangements for external consultations in animal study design and diagnostics.
- Revising, updating and developing policies and procedures for the care and use of laboratory animals, including per diem charges in the Animal Facility.
- Establishing and maintaining the laboratory animal care and use program to achieve AAALAC accreditation.
- Provide animal welfare data as required for regulatory and granting agency reports.
- Postmortem examination of dead animals as requested or needed.
- D.V.M. or V.M.D.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of laboratory animal medicine.
- Must be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in New Jersey.
- Must be ACLAM board certified or board eligible with 4 years of professional laboratory animal experience, excluding training.
- Must possess direct experience with the AAALAC accreditation process.
- Strong communication and organizational and management skills.
- Employment may be contingent upon successful completion of an FBI background check and other regulatory approvals for admittance to BSL3 facilities and/or select agent facilities
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.