Supervisor, Biomarkers & Diagnostics
The Sup, Biomarkers & Diagnostics will function under the supervision of an Associate Member or Member of the Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI). The employee will be responsible for maintaining the daily operational functions of the laboratory and in conducting experiments. The incumbent will supervise and coordinate activities related to research and development. The laboratory focuses on the design of molecular assays and tools to identify or detect cancer biomarkers using biofluids and human archived tissues. The laboratory works with clinicians at HUMC who collect specimens for the laboratoryÂ¿s studies. Using blood from breast cancer patients, the Sup, Biomarker and Diagnostics Lab will prepare circulating tumor DNA sequencing libraries to identify tumor DNA mutations from patient blood. Following pipeline analyses, the Sup, Biomarker and Diagnostics Lab, will design and follow specific circulating tumor DNA mutations in the blood of breast cancer patients, using a digital droplet PCR machine, during treatment to evaluate the response to therapy. The Sup, Biomarker and Diagnostics Lab will run additional projects, which will relate to the identification of tissue biomarkers using formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded breast tumor specimens from a large tissue cohort.
1. Supervises and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in performing research and physical analyses/tests required for research and development.
2. Maintains the daily operational laboratory functions, including ordering supplies and equipment, managing/tracking inventory of reagents and plasticware. Corrects any improper storage and disposal of chemicals and waste that would be violations of the established codes.
3. Designs and performs experiments independently, within an assigned project.
4. Knowledgeable of all laboratory protocols and procedures, leads and directs new students and lab personnel.
5. Serves as the senior technical lab member, trains and supervises lab personnel in computer analysis of data, assists in trouble shooting data collection and analysis of experimental results.
6. Prepares and maintains electronic strain database and summary reports using necessary software available in the laboratory.
7. Maintains instruments, equipment, freezers and strain collections necessary for the execution of the laboratory experimental work.
8. Compiles, analyzes and interprets data and research results.
9. Performs other position-related duties as requested.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Hold a Ph.D. Degree in a relevant science with a minimum of 4 years as a Postdoctoral research fellow, or a Master's Degree in a relevant science with a minimum of 5 years of related research experience.
2. Experience conducting and designing research projects.
3. Possesses solid working knowledge of subject matter.
4. Ability to develop and mentor others.
5. Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.