Supervisor, Animal Facility
The Supervisor, Animal Facility supports the highest standards of humane care and use of laboratory animals for research purposes and assures compliance with state and federal guidelines. This Sup, Animal Facility provides presentations and training to Animal Care Technicians, including preparation of educational materials and hands-on-skill development. This position is responsible for assuring that Hackensack Meridian Health Center for Discovery and Innovation maintains compliance with various state and federal regulations regarding animal research activities. This role serves as a primary consultant for the handling of animals used in research projects and for those who participate in or have a reason to be knowledgeable of animal research policies and procedures, and this role provides guidance and training on animal-based studies.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Supervisor, Animal Facility at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Establish and secure appropriate staffing to ensure proper care and feeding in compliance with state and federal regulations by planning, scheduling and assigning work.
- Provides instruction and training for the Animal Care Technicians on best practices for safety and evolving state and federal regulations.
- Regularly inspects the animal facilities and equipment to ensure proper maintenance.
- Collaborates on the development of animal care facilities processes and policies.
- Orders animals and equipment as required within signing authority level.
- Conducts Orientation training for new PI staff.
- Maintain supply inventory and order supplies as needed.
- Collate and report Per Diem Census information.
- Coordinate sentinel animal program and diagnostic testing/shipping.
- Train a Senior Animal Care Technicians how to perform the duties of a Vet tech (i.e. health monitoring, PI communication, treatment, etc.).
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- The ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. independently and physical and manual dexterity to perform specialized technical tasks.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma/GED.
- 4 years of relevant professional experience.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Bachelor of Science degree in the biological sciences or veterinary technology.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience in laboratory animal science and technology.
- Proficiency with basic computer programs such as MS Word and MS Excel.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Technician Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Pursuit of the CMAR certification by AALAS is desirable.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.