Senior Research Associate MSI
The Senior Research Associate, MSI will conduct research under the supervision of Mgr, Associate Member, and is expected to understand the project, and work independently taking responsibilities in the development and execution of experimental procedures to successfully advance each research project. This role will be responsible for preparation of data for presentations, progress reports, and the preparation of manuscripts.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Senior Research Associate, MSI at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Operates and maintains mass spectrometry instrumentation (Solarix, Orbitraps).
- Performs routine lab workflow procedures including but not limited to tissue handling, cryo-sectioning and post analysis staining.
- Designs and develops novel sample preparation methodologies to enhance sensitivity and maintain tissue morphology for drug, metabolite and lipid distribution studies.
- Conducts research and/or laboratory tasks and experiments under direct supervision.
- Collects, analyzes and interprets data using a variety of vendor-based and open-source software.
- Creates reports from analysis of initial observations and conclusions.
- Presents findings to higher level staff.
- Presents results in internal and external research forums such as scientific conferences, lab meetings and institutional seminars.
- Handles moderately complex issues and problems and refers more complex issues to higher-level staff.
- Participates in grant and manuscript writing, as appropriate.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Hold a Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biological/Biomolecular sciences, or equivalent from an accredited graduate level institution.
- Minimum of 4 years Postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- Minimum publication or in preparation of two articles as first author in a reputable peer-reviewed scientific journal.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conduct independent research.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- In depth knowledge of MALDI-MSI.
- Experience in handling biological samples (sample embedding, sectioning, staining).
- Proficient computer skills that include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience operating and maintaining a Bruker Solarix FTICR mass spectrometer.
- Experience using the HTX sprayer for MALDI sample preparation.
- Knowledge of small molecule (lipid, metabolite, glycan) ion formation by MALDI.
- Functional knowledge of lipids and their direct and indirect signaling pathways.
- Experience with sample preparation and instrument optimization for the detection of drug compounds by MALDI MSI.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.