Senior Animal Technician
The Sr Animal Technician Spec will be responsible for the conduct of highly specialized and technically complex experiments using small animal models (rodents and rabbits) of infection with various bio-safety level 2 and 3 pathogens and providing technical support for the BSL-3 Labs. Studies will be carried out in Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL-2) and Animal Biosafety Level 3 (ABSL-3) facilities and focus on infections via aerosol, intranasal, intraperitoneal, intravenous intradermal and subcutaneous routes; intraperitoneal, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous injections of rodents and other small animals with therapeutics and/or anesthesia; necropsy to isolate the organs; evaluate tissue burdens; isolation of single cell suspension from infected tissue.
1. Perform various research and technical operations relative to ongoing projects to bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens (Evaluation of therapeutics, development of novel diagnostics and studies in pathogenesis and virulence).
2. Preparation of BSL-2 and BSL-3 pathogen cultures.
3. Assist in analysis of host immune response using Flow cytometry and other immunological methods
4. Perform other laboratory analytical assays such as real time PCR, ELISA and western blots.
5. Set-up, maintain, sterilize, and decontaminate the devices for aerosol infection, homogenizer, and other equipment.
6. Autoclave waste materials and clean biosafety cabinets and equipment.
7. Train new personnel to work under high level biocontainment. This includes basic laboratory bench work and animal studies.
8. Ensures that the staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and procedures specific to their jobs.
9. Understands and adheres to HMH CDI compliance standards.
10. Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal and state regulations, laws and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's degree in a relevant science.
2. Minimum of 4 years of experience in work with animal infection models under Biosafety level 3 containment.
3. Experience in infectious diseases.
4. Comprehensive knowledge in Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.
5. Excellent organization and record-keeping skills.
6. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical.
7. All candidates must enroll and be given clearance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) Security Risk Assessment.
8. Must retain clearance to work with HHS Tier 1 Select Agents and be enrolled in the Select Agent Program Personnel Reliability Program.
Licenses and Certifications Required: 1. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Management Certification.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.