Senior Animal Technician Specialist
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Sr Animal Technician Spec will be responsible for the conduct of highly specialized and technically complex experiments using small animal models (rodents and rabbits) of infection with various bio-safety level 2 and 3 pathogens and providing technical support for the BSL-3 Labs. Studies will be carried out in Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL-2) and Animal Biosafety Level 3 (ABSL-3) facilities and focus on infections via aerosol, intranasal, intraperitoneal, intravenous intradermal and subcutaneous routes; intraperitoneal, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous injections of rodents and other small animals with therapeutics and/or anesthesia; necropsy to isolate the organs; evaluate tissue burdens; isolation of single cell suspension from infected tissue.
A day in the life of a Senior Animal Technician Specialist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Perform various research and technical operations relative to ongoing projects to bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens (Evaluation of therapeutics, development of novel diagnostics and studies in pathogenesis and virulence).
- Preparation of BSL-2 and BSL-3 pathogen cultures.
- Assist in analysis of host immune response using Flow cytometry and other immunological methods
- Perform other laboratory analytical assays such as real time PCR, ELISA and western blots.
- Set-up, maintain, sterilize, and decontaminate the devices for aerosol infection, homogenizer, and other equipment.
- Autoclave waste materials and clean biosafety cabinets and equipment.
- Train new personnel to work under high level biocontainment. This includes basic laboratory bench work and animal studies.
- Ensures that the staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and procedures specific to their jobs.
- Understands and adheres to HMH CDI compliance standards.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal and state regulations, laws and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
- Lifting and handling of laboratory animals and feed/equipment up to 50 pounds.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant science.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in work with animal infection models under Biosafety level 3 containment.
- Experience in infectious diseases.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.
- Excellent organization and record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical.
- All candidates must enroll and be given clearance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) Security Risk Assessment.
- Must retain clearance to work with HHS Tier 1 Select Agents and be enrolled in the Select Agent Program Personnel Reliability Program.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- CDC approved for work with select agents.
- AALAS certification (Amer Assoc for Lab Animal Scientists)
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.