Research Technician, Infectious Disease
The Research Tech, Infectious Disease will work under the supervision of the Principal Investigator to perform research in the field of vaccine development in the laboratory of Dr. Martin Gengenbacher. The research translates findings in basic immunology and infection biology into novel vaccines against tuberculosis. Vaccines are studied in a range of preclinical animal models to select the most promising candidates for further development and to define their mechanism of action in the background of genetically different hosts. Advanced technologies including high-parameter flow cytometry, multiplex assays and next-generation sequencing are employed to achieve research goals. Key areas of focus include:
- Vaccine development against tuberculosis
- Mechanistic studies of mycobacterial pathogens in the host
- Developing and running BSL2/BSL3 small animal infection models for bacterial and viral pathogens
- Development of culture models to study mycobacterial infection on the cellular level
- Studying the determinates of tuberculosis transmission
The research program incorporates both basic preclinical and translational research and is aimed towards clinical translation of its most promising discoveries. The successful Research Tech, Infect Diseases candidate will conduct basic or translational research under the supervision of a full-time Associate Scientist and together with a vibrant team of lab members covering a very diverse of range of expertise.
This position will also be responsible for the purchasing of supplies and reagents necessary for all studies maintaining adequate stocks of all the supplies and reagents. The Research Tech, Infect Diseases will be required to maintain detailed protocols and records of data related to executed laboratory work, organizing and maintaining the lab space, and communicating issues to the Associate Scientist, Laboratory Manager, or Department Administrative Assistant.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Research Technician, Infectious Disease at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Performs general laboratory functions.
- Assists the Senior Research Technician/Research Associate in designing and performing experiments within an assigned project.
- Performs data collection and analysis of experimental results.
- Opportunity to become an integral member of a small productive leading edge research team.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training.
- Minimum of 1 years of relevant experience.
- Individual must be able to work independently and have strong work ethic.
- Required computer and organizational skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be flexible in work schedule. Must be available to occasionally come to the laboratory on a weekend day for a few hours or stay late in evenings for a given experiment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master's degree.
- Experience working with animal infection models in infectious disease and working in a BSL2/BSL3 lab facility.
- Experience with small animal handling.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.