Research Technician, Infectious Disease
The Research Technician of Infectious Disease will work under the supervision of the Principal Investigator to perform research in the field of infectious and inflammatory diseases in the laboratory of Dr. David Perlin. Research is related to drug discovery against multidrug resistant bacterial infections, mechanisms of antifungal drug resistance, studies of drug action at sites of infection, rapid detection of drug resistant bloodstream and respiratory pathogens in high-risk patients, and the application of small animal models for high-threat pathogens. Key areas of focus include: a. Drug discovery against multidrug resistant bacteria causing both systemic and wound infections. b. Rapid detection of respiratory and bloodstream infections and associated resistance markers. c. Developing and running BSL2/BSL3 small animal infection models for bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens. d. Delivering small animal infection models for ESKAPE, TB and select agent bacterial pathogens to evaluate lead compounds. The research program incorporates both basic preclinical and translational research and is aimed towards clinical translation of its most promising discoveries. The successful Research Tech, Infect and Inflammatory Diseases candidate will conduct basic or translational research under the supervision of a full-time Associate Scientist. This position will also be responsible for the purchasing of supplies and reagents necessary for all studies maintaining adequate stocks of all the supplies and reagents. The Research Tech, Infect Diseases will be required to maintain detailed protocols and records of data related to executed laboratory work, organizing and maintaining the lab space, and communicating issues to the Associate Scientist, Laboratory Manager, or Department Administrative Assistant.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Research Technician, Infectious Disease at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Performs general laboratory functions.
- Assists the Senior Research Technician/Research Associate in designing and performing experiments within an assigned project.
- Performs data collection and analysis of experimental results.
- Opportunity to become an integral member of a small productive leading edge research team.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training.
- Minimum of 1 years of relevant experience.
- Individual must be able to work independently and have strong work ethic.
- Required computer and organizational skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be flexible in work schedule. Must be available to occasionally come to the laboratory on a weekend day for a few hours or stay late in evenings for a given experiment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master's degree.
- Experience working with animal infection models in infectious disease and working in a BSL2/BSL3 lab facility.
- Experience with small animal handling.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.