Research Associate, Focus Grant
The Research Associate, Focus Grant provides field-based services to blood borne virus (Hepatitis and HIV) -positive patients screened in an ED-based program at HMH. There is also opportunity for bed side brief counselling and social support as needed for participating patients. This role will be the main point of contact for blood -borne virus positive patients, their doctors and their relatives. This role builds strong relationships with Hepatitis and HIV positive patients in order to link them to medical care. This role requires monthly visits to nearby network locations to encourage Provider and patient participation in program services. This role is committed to removing patients¿ barriers to care by identifying critical resources, helping them navigate through health care services, and promoting patients' health. This role works closely with clinical staff, which may include doctors, nurses, laboratory personnel and other staff to support positive patients' health outcomes.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Research Associate at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Schedules testing and interviews, locates patients and controls, obtains consent, administers testing and conducts interviews.
- Notifies site staff or primary care providers of patients or controls who appear to be impaired or distressed.
- Enters and saves data from multiple sites in the study database, assists with data management and data analysis, performs routine data quality assurance procedures, and resolves discrepancies.
- Assists in preparing and organizing study records, meetings, minutes, and writes draft reports and manuscripts.
- Manages payment, tracking, and documentation of patient study incentives.
- Trains and performs patient navigation when needed.
- Contacts patients over the phone to assist in setting up appointments with PCP and Specialists and provides reminder phone calls prior to appointment
- Works with patients, providers and care team to set goals for patient's care.
- Provides navigation for patient by addressing any logistic barriers, scheduling complications, etc.that would prevent a patient from showing up at their appointment.
- Addresses any relevant insurance concerns or issues by connecting patients with appropriate resources.
- Maintains regular communication with the patient's providers through clinical messages in EPIC, emails and phone calls.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work a related field or equivalent years of experience.
- Two (2) years of direct research related experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent Team Skills and supervision skills.
- Research skills and responsibilities.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to prepare research reports.
- Ability to analyze budgetary line items for compliance with budget guidelines.
- Record maintenance skills.
- Ability to make basic administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Database management skills.
- Basic knowledge of federal, state and/or community funding sources and mechanisms.
- Must have the ability to deal effectively and professionally with a variety of persons ranging from external leaders of national organizations, senior faculty, to RA's.
- Must be able to make decisions and work with minimal direction.
- Proficient computer skills that may include bar are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Bilingual - Spanish speaking
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.