Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Drug Development
The Hackensack Meridian Health Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI) is offering a position for postdoctoral research studies in the field of infectious and inflammatory diseases in the laboratory of Dr. David Perlin. The Perlin lab is interested in drug discovery against multidrug resistant bacterial infections, mechanisms of antifungal drug resistance, studies of drug action at sites of infection, rapid detection of drug resistant bloodstream and respiratory pathogens in high-risk patients, and the application of small animal models for high-threat pathogens. Key areas of focus include:
- Drug discovery against multidrug resistant bacteria causing both systemic and wound Infections
- Rapid detection of respiratory and bloodstream infections and associated resistance markers
- Developing and running BSL2 small animal infection models for bacterial and fungal pathogens
- Delivering small animal infection models for ESKAPE bacterial pathogens to evaluate lead compounds.
The research program incorporates both basic preclinical and translational research and is aimed towards clinical translation of its most promising discoveries. The successful postdoctoral candidate will have a strong interest in infectious and inflammatory disease technology. The candidate will perform in vivo animal models and in vitro analyses. The postdoctoral fellow is expected to understand the project and work independently taking responsibilities in the development and execution of experimental procedures to successfully advance the research project. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparation of data for presentations, progress reports, and the preparation of manuscripts and posters. The post-doctoral fellow is anticipated to have good communication and writing skills. The successful candidate will have a team-oriented mindset and will provide guidance to junior members.
- Design and conduct animal studies of infection.
- Assess molecular mechanisms of drug resistance.
- Perform data (especially PK/PD) analysis and interpretation.
- Present results in internal and external research forums.
- Participate in grant and manuscript writing, as appropriate.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Hold a Ph.D. in Microbiology, Pharmacology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biological/Biomolecular sciences, or equivalent from an accredited graduate level institution.
- Minimum publication or in preparation of one article as first author in a reputable peer-reviewed scientific journal.
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience with PK/PD animal models and working in a BSL2 lab facility.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.