Perform research in the laboratory as a synthetic and medicinal chemist applying the latest knowledge and techniques in the field and provide analytical and bioanalytical chemistry support for the program. The Medicinal Chemist will advance the assigned program and contribute to the identification of a lead or development candidate.
1. Design and execute syntheses of complex organic molecules on a milligram to multi-gram scale.
2. Use advanced laboratory techniques such as medium pressure chromatography and HPLC to purify mixtures of compounds.
3. Use advanced analytical techniques to characterize the structure of and determine the purity of intermediate and target organic compounds.
4. Rationally design a series of target molecules for a pharmacological target of interest.
5. Use medicinal chemistry tools and techniques to plan and design synthetic targets.
6. Provide analytical and bioanalytical chemistry support for the program. This includes development of analytical protocols for the analysis of compounds from pharmacokinetic, microsomal and plasma stability studies.
7. Maintain the analytical and preparative HPLC systems required for the program.
8. Present results to co-workers and management in both oral and written manner and assist in the preparation of patent applications.
9. Performs work with a high degree of latitude and handles the most complex issues.
10. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
11. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Master's degree, a combination of relevant education and applicable job experience may be considered.
2. Minimum of 4 years of post-graduate experience working in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry or a related position as a laboratory scientist.
3. Possesses expert knowledge of subject matter.
4. Firsthand knowledge of advanced synthesis, purification and spectroscopic techniques utilized in the preparation and characterization of complex organic molecules.
5. Demonstrated ability to design synthetic targets and successfully execute their syntheses.
6. Ability to create a research work plan and effectively implement that plan.
7. Ability to work effectively in teams and collaborate with other scientists including microbiologists, structural biologists, pharmacologists and toxicologists.
8. Ability to work independently and show flexibility when needed.
9. Effective oral and written English communication skills.
10. Familiarity with standard laboratory instrumentation, personal computers and office and laboratory software.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry.
2. Previous experience in anti-infectives or oncology research.
3. Several first author or co-author publications in peer-reviewed journals highlighting post-graduate research and accomplishments.
4. Familiarity with Structure-Based Drug Design.
5. Firm understanding of modern Medicinal Chemistry concepts and the ability to use them in the design of target molecules or to improve the properties of existing compounds.
6. Previous experience in the design of protocols and quantification of organic molecules in a biomatrix.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.