Medical Education Learning Specialist
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Medical Education Learning Specialist reports to the Director of Academic Support with the Office of Student Affairs and Wellbeing and plays a critical role in employing evidence-based methods and best practices towards individual and group advancement of academic success, which is essential to a successful medical student experience. Most importantly, this role will be responsible for providing diagnostic assessment and skills-based techniques in the development of unique and specific educational approaches to student learning needs. Responsible for a caseload of approximately 200 students.
This is onsite position located in Nutley, NJ.
A day in the life of a Medical Education Learning Specialist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Serves as research-based strategies expert for instructional program planning, presenting, facilitating, collaborating, coaching, creating and curating resources within one or more areas of expertise based upon knowledge, experience and/or specialized training.
- Ensure that high-quality, innovative, and effective learning solutions are delivered in a coordinated fashion with the Director of Academic Support.
- Collaborate with faculty to offer supplementary academic services to complement coursework and assist in developing individualized plans for students, including individualized academic counseling for students to promote successful matriculation.
- Develop individualized collaborative study plans for medical students to address learning skills, time and study management, knowledge organization, testing skills/ preparation, and other areas of academic concern.
- Design and conduct large group effective learning strategies seminars to improve student learning strategies and study skills.
- Organize comprehensive NBME Shelf, USMLE Step 1, and Step 2 CK preparation plans and workshops for medical students.
- Compile and analyze statistics through a data management system to evaluate and document the academic support services that contribute to the successful matriculation of medical students.
- Track students progress in the remediation track.
- Assist in hiring and training Peer Tutors in best practices and theories of learning strategies.
- Respond to student concerns and suggestions for improving academic support services and programs.
- Serve as primary contact for all faculty reporting concerns about students.
- Plan and carry out departmental projects as assigned by the Director of Academic Support including: oversight of departmental programs, presenting programs during orientation, and preparing and reviewing reports.
- Research and identify best practices and future trends in order to continuously improve offerings to students.
- Serve as key consultant, in close collaboration with the Director of Academic Support, in the development of interventions and support strategies, along with faculty, deans, clerkship directors, to monitor student progress and provide strategic academic case management services.
- Prepare and manage training materials; communicate with internal/external trainers, volunteers, and attendees regarding training sessions and/or meetings; track all activities of student encounters; document and distribute evaluation materials.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master's Degree in Education, Educational Psychology, Higher Education, Basic Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Human Physiology, etc.
- Must have minimum three (3) years of relevant work experience providing full-time academic support within medical education.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication and customer service skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to multi-task and exercise self-directed qualities with minimal supervision.
- Must be highly proficient in all Microsoft processing and related applications (such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.).
- Must be familiar with standardized examinations that apply to medical students (i.e. MCAT, USMLE, etc.).
- Must be flexible regarding management of multiple high priority demands.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive written and verbal matters.
- Must have the ability to type and compose correspondence, coordinate schedules and activities, exercise discretion and communicate effectively.
- An understanding of, ability to demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, cultural, ability, military, religious, sexual orientation and gender identity backgrounds of medical students, staff and faculty.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Doctoral Degree in Education, Educational Psychology, Higher Education Administration, or another tertiary educational administration field.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.