Media Preparation Technician
The Media Preparation Technician will maintain, clean and sterilize glassware in a laboratory setting. Prepare media, buffers, reagents and stock solutions for CDI Investigators and perform tests under direct supervision.
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 27 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
A day in the life of a Media Preparation Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Inspect items after removal from washer/dryer.
- Responsible for following the mandatory reporting procedures for any incident or serious event that did affect or potentially could affect laboratory results.
- On a daily basis, collect laboratory materials (i.e., pipettes, jars, dishes and other glassware) from each area of the Laboratory.
- Maintain inventory of solutions and powders necessary to perform work.
- Notify CDI administration of malfunctioning equipment, broken and chipped items.
- Operate an autoclave for sterilization of infectious glassware, petri dishes, tubes, etc.
- Maintain clean and orderly work area. Sort and deliver material to appropriate lab.
- Manufacture and testing of media, buffers, reagents, stock solutions, and other similar items by following established standard operating procedures according to the department requirements and maintaining record keeping for procedures performed.
- Weighs, pipettes, and pours media using aseptic technique in a sterile environment.
- Use pH meter, balances, autoclaves, and other microbiological equipment to prepare media and broths.
- Weigh and measure in-process materials to ensure proper quantities are added/removed.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma.
- Experience working in a sterile environment and performing aseptic processing.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and attention to detail.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Minimum of 1 to 3 months of on the job training in special cleaning techniques, operation of autoclave, and proper disposal of waste and other duties.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.