Manager, Assistant Member, Cancer Research
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), located 8 miles outside New York City, was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts including 22 National Institutes of Health (NIH) prime grants, as well as grants from the Gates Foundation, Department of Defense (DoD), Pharma and Biotech. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
The Manager, Assistant Member, Cancer Research in the HMH Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI) will conduct basic scientific and/or translational research.
A day in the life of Manager, Assistant Member, Cancer Research at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Executes research objectives, trains staff, ensures proper handling of data, and maintains a professional research environment for an initial 4-year employment term.
- Following the initial 4-year employment term, the Assistant Member will use reasonable professional effort to acquire sufficient grant funding and philanthropic support to cover 50% of their salary and all operating expenses and salaries for their laboratory staff at Hackensack University Medical Center.
- Maximum allotted time for professional activities away from the Hackensack University Medical Center of 60 days. Professional activities include; scientific consulting, editorial work, seminar participation, service on NIH study sections and review panels and attendance at national and international science meetings.
- Oversees the operation of the lab processes and lab staff.
- Works within the budget of the lab.
- Creates goals for research projects.
- Recommends, creates, and develops policies, practices, and procedures of the lab.
- Designs quality and productivity standards of the lab.
- Recommends personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, and disciplinary actions.
- Guides, mentors, and evaluates the performance of the appropriate lab staff.
- Minimum on site work of 40 hours each week.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Hold a M.D. or Ph.D. degree from an accredited medical school or graduate level institution.
- Demonstrated involvement in program development, performance improvement, and research activities.
- Minimum of 6 years total experience including appointment as either a Postdoctoral Fellow, Research Associate, or Instructor, unless candidate has already obtained adequate independent research funding at the Federal or Foundation level (in which case a minimum of 3 years total post-degree experience is required).
- Strong experience and/or grant submission experience as Principal Investigator.
- Minimum publication of 10 articles in scientific journals or book chapters. The candidate must be first or last author on a majority of these publications.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- An expert in any area of cancer related research.
- Proficient at molecular and/or cellular biology applications.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Experience developing research programs and ability to write grants.
- Experience managing scientific support personnel.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.