Dir, Diversity & Equity
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
The Director, Diversity & Equity (D&E) is responsible for overseeing the School of Medicine's (SOM) pipeline and partnership programs which are designed to enhance the diversity of its applicant pool and medical class, as well as create a path for future health professionals from under-represented groups in medicine. The position is housed in the School's Office of Diversity & Equity, where the successful candidate will report to, and work with the Associate Dean of D&E and join a dynamic team who share the mission driven commitment to inclusion with faculty, students, and administrative ranks. These programs are critical in that they foster health equity by reducing barriers associated with compromised social, economic, and physical well-being determinants. The ideal candidate will have experience working in an educational setting or medical school.
A day in the life of a Director, Diversity & Equity at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Manage and coordinate the SOM's established and newly launched pipeline programs.
- Lead strategic planning and goal setting for the department by working closely with the Associate Dean of D&E and supervise administrative support staff.
- Work closely with regional middle schools, junior high schools, high schools, and colleges throughout the SOM's targeted outreach areas to create, maintain, and grow such programs.
- As requested, teach workshops and provide lectures on topics including, but not limited to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status and gender issues and implicit bias to medical students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop and nurture pipeline programs extending back to elementary school in cooperation with the medical school's community education program, the Human Dimension and the school's research programs.
- Work with co located Seton Hall University School representatives at the Interprofessional Health Science Campus to increase cultural awareness among students, faculty, and staff.
- Attend regional and national recruitment meetings to raise awareness of opportunities at the SOM.
- Oversee the D&E webpage and assure that information posted is updated in a timely fashion.
- Assist faculty and the Associate Dean of D&E to identify grant opportunities and provide requisite D&E data.
- Serve as a member of the D&E Committee of the SOM.
- As requested, gather data on D&E statistics for the SOM and related agencies (e.g. accreditation and regulatory agencies).
- Develop and manage budget recommendations and review expenses against budget in close collaboration with the Associate Dean of D&E.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master's degree
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working across diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise others
- Ability to problem solve and analyze information from various perspectives.
- Ability to automate and streamline office processes.
- Must have demonstrated cultural awareness and progressive sensitivity.
- Must have an established ability to mentor and motivate students and peers.
- Must be familiar with common office software programs.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Ph.D. strongly preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish strongly preferred.
- Relevant work experience in an academic medical center, medical school, or other healthcare training environment.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.