Community Engagement Specialist
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Community Engagement Specialist is responsible for coordinating all logistics related to implementing the community immersion component of the the School of Medicine's (SOM) Human Dimension (HD) Course. This position will work to identify community health needs and will work in support of the SOM's strategic mission and vision. In this unique 3 year medical education course, students will be immersed in communities and linked to families, developing a longitudinal relationship in order to better understand the human dimensions. The HD Course content will be integrated with all other elements of the SOM's curriculum, and will bring to life the many Determinants of Health. Lead the integration of the HD curriculum in the community by building a network of engaged and empowered community agencies, community leaders, community-based programs, federally qualified health. The role will be integral in the analysis of community health needs analysis of community health needs, developing ongoing relationships with community partners, and interfacing with faculty, course directors, community liaisons, students, and community agencies.
A day in the life of a Community Engagement Specialist at Hackensack Meridian Health School of Medicine can be described as follows:
- Develop and recommend outreach activities to address identified community health needs including orientations, community engagement sessions, trainings and presentations.
- Ensure all logistics related to safety screenings, agency needs are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Act as a liaison for community organizations in planning and implementing community health improvement projects.
- Maintains and nurtures community partnerships including keeping up to date contact database for partnerships, vendors, community resources and key constituents.
- Participate in SOM related activities, including serving on curriculum operations and other committees, participating in the SOM's Curriculum Management Plan development, participation in accreditation-related activities, and other duties as needed.
- Articulate the mission, vision, values of the SOM as well as programs, services and resources available throughout the community health partnerships available throughout the health system.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Public Health or a related field is required
- One (1) or more years of relevant work experience is required
- Flexibility to come in to work as early as 7:30 am once or twice a week is required
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be comfortable networking and introducing one's self to new contacts as well as developing and maintaining relationships with community resources
- Experience and/or an interest in public/community health is preferred
- Bi-lingual and/or bi-cultural background is a plus
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.