Clerkship Course Coordinator
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day
The Clerkship Course Coordinator, in collaboration with the School of Medicine (SOM) leadership and a network of hospitals and ambulatory sites, is responsible for the implementation, promotion, and enhancement of the quality of the student educational experience from the transitional through the advanced clinical rotations. The coordinator, working in collaboration with the Phase 2 Manager, is responsible for overseeing and managing the day-to-day operation of the Phase 2 Block Clerkships. These block clerkships are comprised of Internal Medicine, Surgery, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Psychiatry, Neurology as well as additional electives in other medical specialties. Emergency Medicine will be integrated into the block clerkships, and all students will begin the clerkship year with a transitional clerkship.
A day in the life of a Clerkship Course Coordinator at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Schedules the Phase 2 Block Clerkships to ensure medical students matriculate through the programs during the expecting time period by managing variables such as student clerkship enrollment numbers, preceptor matching, and all other necessary clinical site compliance requirements.
- Ensures all students are credentialed, compliant, and ready to start and complete clerkships without interruption at each of the medical facilities where the student is placed and independently rectifies any issues with those facilities to curtail interruptions.
- The Clerkship Course Coordinator provides oversight of medical students through their training experience, including but not limited to managing the implementation, adherence, monitoring, and continuous improvement of all policies and procedures related to clerkships, including those regarding safety and operations
- Manages the preparation and processing of evaluation reports according to the SOMÂ¿s Curriculum Management Plan and related SOM policies Â¿ as related to students, faculty, other partners, and the clerkship generally.
- Manages and maintains student performance data (grades, competency assessments, and other information) and provides the Office of Medical Education with said data in the form of reports, spreadsheets, and any other requested reporting tools.
- Recruits lecturers and other speakers to provide formal educational opportunities on varying topics to enhance the learning experience.
- Creates and distributes the Preceptor Interest Survey which is used as a means of confirming clerkship teaching interest and is used to initiate faculty appointments and teaching clearance as well as any student scheduling with appropriate Inpatient and Outpatient specialist.
- Manages the end of clerkship NBME exams. This includes but is not limited to exam preparation, proctoring, and managing invoices for payment processing as well as working in conjunction with the Office of Student Affairs on requests for exam accommodations.
- Oversees and manages all critical communications with the SOM, faculty and students.
- Generates compliance reports related to policies. 11.Participates in SOM related activities, including serving on curriculum operations and other committees, participating in the SOMÂ¿s Curriculum Management Plan, and participation in accreditation-related activities.
- Meets on a regular basis with the other clerkship coordinators and SOM leadership to address common needs and share best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelors degree in Education, Public Health, Healthcare Administration or related.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be adept at multitasking and keeping extremely organized.
- Must be able to operationalize processes and apply a system-based approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication to manage all daily communication.
- Ability to manage and navigate technology-based resources for the successful execution of the curriculum including Microsoft office, Blackboard, and LCMS+.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.