Animal Technician Specialist
The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI), located 8 miles outside New York City, was established by Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) as an academic basic and translational research enterprise to rapidly translate science innovation to the clinic to improve outcomes for patients with cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune disease and other acute and chronic diseases. The CDI has grown rapidly since its origins in 2019, and now has 18 labs, 150 scientists and support personnel, who are supported by more than 85 grants and contracts including 22 National Institutes of Health (NIH) prime grants, as well as grants from the Gates Foundation, Department of Defense (DoD), Pharma and Biotech. Areas of expertise include genomics, epigenetics, drug resistance, stem cell biology, drug discovery, diagnostics and biomarker development, and pharmacology.
The Animal Technician Specialist will assist with the conduct of highly specialized and technically complex experiments using small animal models (rodents and rabbits) of infection with various bio-safety level 2 and 3 pathogens and providing technical support for the BSL-3 Labs. Studies will be carried out in Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL-2) and Animal Biosafety Level 3 (ABSL-3) facilities and focus on infections via aerosol, intranasal, intraperitoneal, intravenous intradermal and subcutaneous routes; intraperitoneal, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous injections of rodents and other small animals with therapeutics and/or anesthesia; necropsy to isolate the organs; evaluate tissue burdens; isolation of single cell suspension from infected tissue.
A day in the life of an Animal Technician Specialist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assist with performing various research and technical operations relative to ongoing projects to bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens (Evaluation of therapeutics, development of novel diagnostics and studies in pathogenesis and virulence).
- Assist with preparation of BSL-2 and BSL-3 pathogen cultures.
- Assist in analysis of host immune response using Flow cytometry and other immunological methods
- Perform other laboratory analytical assays such as real time PCR, ELISA and western blots.
- Set-up, maintain, sterilize, and decontaminate the devices for aerosol infection, homogenizer, and other equipment.
- Autoclave waste materials and clean biosafety cabinets and equipment.
- Understands and adheres to HMH CDI compliance standards.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal and state regulations, laws and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant science or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in work with animal infection models under Biosafety level 3 containment.
- Experience in infectious diseases.
- Basic knowledge in Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.
- Good organization and record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical.
- Must retain clearance to work with HHS Tier 1 Select Agents and be enrolled in the Select Agent Program Personnel Reliability Program.
- All candidates must enroll and be given clearance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) Security Risk Assessment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- CDC approved for work with select agents.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Management Certification.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.