Access Assistant, Student Affairs
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Access Assistant, Student Affairs and Wellbeing position is to provide support to the Associate/Assistant Dean and Director(s) for the Office of Student Affairs and Wellbeing in the School of Medicine. The Access Assistant (AA) provides accessibility accommodations and administrative support to include providing accommodations to medical students, personal and telephone reception, program and event planning, preparing correspondence, and data entry. This role is critical in being proactive and demonstrating initiative to the office's accessibility support and project management processes.
Join us on a virtual tour of the School of Medicine!
A day in the life of an Access Assistant at Hackensack Meridian Health can be described as follows:
- Provides assistance with physical tasks, while under the constant instruction and guidance of the medical student. The medical student will instruct the Access Assistant (AA) on what needs to be moved or lifted and describe how to perform the movement. The AA will follow the medical student's directions and regardless of their skill and experience cannot complete any procedures without the medical student's instructions. These tasks may include, but are not limited to, assisting medical student with holding instruments, palpation, percussion, positioning for access to patient, etc. The AA will provide assistance in gross anatomy lab as well as certain other skills-based courses, labs, and clinics, as needed.
- Provides primary administrative support to the Associate Assistant Dean and/or Directors of the Office of Student Affairs and Wellbeing to include scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, organizing travel arrangements, preparing/organizing/filing correspondence and managing calendars.
- Assist with set-up of assistive technology as needed for medical student
- Scribe upon request from the medical student for note taking, concept mapping, and/or during exams.
- Coordinates and plans meetings and events, organizes and prepares training materials; communicates with faculty, staff, students, and other attendees regarding meetings; records notes and minutes; documents and distributes necessary materials and action items for follow up.
- Investigates, organizes and inputs pertinent information into constituent management software.
- The AA cannot help with tasks of a personal nature, such as toileting and changing clothes.
- Arrange furniture in room to create physical access for medical student to take an exam, care for a patient, etc. and at end of meeting to return room to original configuration.
- Perform related duties as required or assigned.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Associates degree or Vocational or Technical School degree.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Must be a good listener and follow directions closely.
- Must act in a sensitive and professional manner and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be aware and emotionally prepared to handle cadavers in anatomy lab; and to have exposure to patients who are very ill, without clothes or with traumatic injuries.
- Interest in the healthcare field.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Bachelor's degree.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.