Surgical Scheduler - Surgery Gen (Physician Practice)
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Surgical Scheduler coordinates all aspects of procedural care and testing services under the direction and supervision of the Practice Supervisor or Practice Manager and physician(s) for the patients of the practice.
*Must be able to work 10-12 hours per week, flexible and preferably work Monday and Wednesday.
A day in the life of a Surgical Scheduler at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Greet patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner.
- At each patient encounter, team members respond promptly to patients needs and listen with empathy both in person and on the telephone.
- The coordinator will courteously interview the patient while never compromising the dignity of the patient's surgical and financial needs.
- Procedures are scheduled in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner, and the schedule is maintained without conflicts and/or delays.
- The patient and their insurance information is logged, the insurance company is contacted for verification of coverage and benefits, precertification is obtained, procedure appointments are coordinated with physician's calendar, and changes in the schedule are adjusted as needed.
- Appointments and surgical preparation information are communicated to and confirmed with patients.
- The Coordinator ensures pre-op procedure are followed with consistency, including: Completion of surgical package (including completion of consent forms and distribution to appropriate departments), schedule pre-surgery appointment with physician, ensure and coordinate medical clearance as needed, coordinate PAT appointments and follow up with results to the physician; Makes sure proper equipment is ordered for surgery.
- Obtains proper authorization from insurance companies.
- Coordinates required postoperative care under the direction of the provider.
- Efficiently and accurately performs surgical billing requirements including: coding procedures for precertification, coding surgeries based on the operative reports and verifying information with provider, posting surgical charges and payments and providing operative reports to insurance companies for claim approval.
- Accurately and timely completes reports for physicians, including dictation, consult letters, narratives, and other correspondence.
- Team Work in a practice is critical to our success. As such, all team members must display cooperative interactions with others and accepts responsibility for what needs to get done.
- Team members perform a broad range of assignments with efficiency and accuracy and in a positive manner.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Secretarial Science Education or comparable experience
- Post High School courses in medical terminology.
- 2 years progressively responsible experience in a medical office.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification preferred
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.