Physician Assistant will provide direct patient care, consultations, surgery assist as needed, education research activities, and clinical supervision. Will demonstrate ability to function as an expert clinical resource, facilitate patient teaching and support program for families/patients, and promote continuity of patient care within the institution from admittance to discharge by working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team
- Elicit a detailed and accurate history, perform an appropriate physical examination, identify problems, record and interpret information. Present this information to the supervising physician. Surgeons will provide supervision and education in all aspects of patient care.
- Participate in house staff rounds with the supervising physician including, but not limited to recording progress notes, determining and implementing therapeutic plans, and assisting with patient discharge.
- Perform clinically appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as delegated by the supervising physician and in accordance with the privileges set forth by the Medical Staff Office.
- Procedural skills to be taught by the surgeons including incision and drainage of soft tissue infection, staple and suture removal, iv and ng tube insertion and blood draws.
- Provide patient counseling and education.
- Collaboration with other departments and specialists as well as thorough sign outs and working closely with the surgical residents including coordinating referrals to other health care providers.
- Function as a resource to health care personnel and participate in their educational programs.
- Maintenance of electronic medical record as needed.
- Maintain current certifications in Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (BLS/ACLS), Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), any other certifications required by the attending physician or Medical Staff Office.
- Maintain current NJ State Physician Assistant certification, including attending a minimum of 100 hours of continuing education (at least 50 hrs. Category I) every two years.
- Prescribe controlled dangerous substances only with current state CDS license and DEA number and in accordance with standard protocols/direction provided by the supervising physician.
- Exhibit organizational, communication and leadership skills, initiative, accountability, responsibility, appropriate judgment, and decision making.
- Function as a first and/or second assistant during surgical cases at the discretion of the supervising physician.
The physician assistant shall perform all procedures under the supervision of his/her supervising physician, in accordance with the Medical Staff Office guidelines.
This full time position requires working Monday through Friday, daytime hours, both in the office setting seeing patients alongside with the surgeons several days a week, and in the hospital setting when not in the office.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
If you're interested in this position, we would love to hear from you! Please call me or complete this from and I will get back in touch with you.