Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant, Neuro ICU
The Physician Assistant or Acute Care Nurse practitioner will provide exceptional patient care for critically ill patients in a dedicated 13 bed Neuro ICU in a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center. Critical conditions that will be managed include; intracerebral hemorrhages, ischemic strokes, subarachnoid hemorrhages, status epilepticus, brain and spine infections, malignancy, aneurysms, subdural and epidural hematomas, nerve conduction disorders and other neurosurgical and neurological emergencies. the successful candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team including; critical care intensivists, pharmacists, educators, advanced practitioners, nurses and other support staff.
Autonomously manage the medical care of neuro-critical care patients.
- Participate in daily rounds with an attending physician and develop/implement clinical care plans for each patient based on their specific needs. Enter necessary orders.
- Perform bedside procedures within their scope of practice.
- Hold and/or participate in family meetings.
- Perform detailed physical exams.
- Demonstrate accurate and timely documentation of detailed patient history and physical exams, consults and daily progress notes.
- Participates in academic and professional development through attendance and/or participation at national/regional conferences.
- Complete mandatory Hackensack Meridian Health and Neuro Critical care training as assigned.
- Ensure adherence to Joint Commission standards and all related corporate policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Promotes knowledge and compliance with regulatory requirements related to patient safety.
- Treat all patients and co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Assist in the education of patient care staff in the use of new equipment, supplies, and instruments. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices. Equipment utilization and education includes, but is not limited to; external ventricular drains, intracranial pressure monitors, pupilometer, central lines, arterial lines, mechanical ventilators, electrocardiogram, electroencephalography, normothermia equipment and Tissue Plasminogen Activator utilization and administration.
- Participates in the orientation of new Neuro ICU team members in coordination with the management team in the Neuro ICU.
- Assists patients and caregivers with educational needs, problem resolution, and health management across the continuum of care.
- Participates in development of policies and procedures for the Neuro ICU. Contributes actively to a variety of committees and the shared governance structure to improve the overall system’s delivery of neuro critical care across the continuum, including but not limited to participation in the maintenance and renewal of the Comprehensive Stroke Program Certification.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will work in conjunction with the Neuro ICU team to promote Hackensack Meridian Health’s mission and goals of teaching, research and exceptional patient care. The candidate will also work cooperatively with the nursing staff and support team and provide ongoing education, quality improvement initiatives and support as needed. They will actively follow and implement clinical plans of care and/or protocols for patients with common conditions/diagnoses/procedures; educates house staff and nursing unit staff on these protocols, with the goal of enhancing quality of care, enhancing quality of patient services, and decreasing patient length of stay; participates with hospital/unit staff in evaluating results of these protocols and continually improving effectiveness of same; works actively with hospital and unit staff to rapidly develop and implement discharge plans for patients in the Neuro ICU and to address length of stay issues; promotes health of patients in the Neuro ICU through the use of ancillary services, educational materials, and counseling of patients and families. Professional performance is delivered in a manner that is compliant with the regulations and guidelines of all relevant regulating bodies (e.g. JCAHO, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, IRB, and all other state, federal, and institutional regulatory agencies).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Preferred experience in a Neuro critical care or critical care environment as an Advanced Practitioner. Thorough knowledge and understanding of clinical protocol, procedures, and standards within area of expertise in neuro critical care.
- Ability to work with autonomy and demonstrate technical leadership skills and advanced clinical skills when caring for an acute and critically ill neurological patient.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to participate in teaching, learning and quality improvement initiatives to maintain a successful neuro critical care program.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required; Education, Knowledge, Skill and Abillities Preferred; Licenses and Certifications Required: Licenses and Certifications preferred
Our New Brand Commercial
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we are redefining how health and care come together. It all comes down to being a well-orchestrated team. Not sure what that means? Take a look at our new brand campaign to see how we’re taking care life years ahead.
If you're interested in this position, we would love to hear from you! Please call me or complete this from and I will get back in touch with you.