Director, Practice Operations, South
How have you impacted someones life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our team members are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care and coaching each and every day. Through the comprehensive care we provide, we are confident that you will be able to apply your skills while building your career within New Jerseys premier healthcare system.
In the current climate of health care, there are and will be many challenges and hurdles to overcome to achieve HMH physician enterprise growth and performance objectives. Constant change in health-related federal and state legislation, reimbursement practices, and compliance requirements, as well as perpetual advances in medicine and patient care delivery, dictate the requirement for continuous monitoring and upgrading of the operational, financial and clinical practice infrastructure to support the HMH physician communities.
Reporting to the Vice President Physician Services Division (VPPSD), the Director, of Operations, HMH Physician Services Division plays a leadership role in the HMH physician enterprise strategy to promote the vision, to assist in the development and implementation of strategy, to implement and monitor processes, make recommendations for improvements and oversee implementation of initiatives that support high-quality and sound financial performance, and demonstrate innovations to patient care delivery to successfully position HMH as the provider of choice in the market.
A day in the life of an Director, Practice Operations Revenue Cycle at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Establish credibility with, and earn the trust of, the PSD physician leadership and the administration of HMH and affiliate organizations.
- Be viewed as focused, in charge, enthusiastic and approachable.
- Assist in the development of a high performing leadership team to attain division objectives through the selection, development, organization, motivation, management, evaluation and promotion of leaders and team members.
- Modify existing and/or develop new tactical plans and infrastructure to optimally deploy resources to meet near- and long-term goals.
- Assist with the redesigned/reengineered structure, staffing, systems, policies, processes, procedures, and performance metrics to support the integrated organization, and implement the changes.
- Administration of physician practices and other assigned community and hospital-based physician services to achieve operating and financial objectives and promote the transformation and advancement of HMH physician practices to a high performing integrated enterprise. Scope of responsibility may include faculty practice and community based medical practices.
- Promoting collaboration with all aspects of the medical services organization, including Financial Services, Revenue Cycle Services, Physician Recruitment, Quality and Outcomes, Information Technology, Human Resources and Marketing/Communications.
- Coordination with the leadership of HMH and the affiliate organizations to optimize the division’s performance, to comply with government regulations and accreditation requirements, and to foster the values, achieve the goals and realize the mission of HMH.
- Providing leadership, direction and day-to-day oversight of practice operations.
- Assisting with medical manpower planning, practice evaluation, recruitment, retention and succession planning for the HMH physician enterprise.
- Maintaining constructive and collegial relations with the HMH senior leadership team to ensure the accomplishment of HMH objectives, strategic priorities involving physicians and cross-functional problem solving and process improvement to help ensure the effective coordination and integration of care and service.
- Fostering a smoothly functioning, efficient, customer-service oriented organization through operational integration, anticipation of problems, the timely and effective resolution of disruptions, and the establishment and maintenance of continuous improvement programs and processes.
- Assist VPPSD with the development and implementation of the physician enterprise strategic plans.
- Establish and attain challenging/achievable growth, financial, quality, physician and patient engagement goals.
- Develop, obtain approval for, and ensure adherence to operating, personnel, and capital budgets.
- Directs practice operations in collaboration with practice leaders to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Assist with the development of patient centered medical homes and supporting operating policies and procedures that will increase the efficiency and effectiveness of clinical interventions, utilization, and cost management.
- Monitor revenue costs, income, staffing, space requirements, and standards of care and ensure that appropriate steps are taken to optimize performance.
- Monitor relevant key financial indicators and performance metrics, modifying business activities where needed in response to changing financial situations.
- Recommend and establish new policies to ensure effective support and resources for practice operations.
- Assist in the resolution of medical-administrative problems and keep lines of communication open with physicians and team members to ensure high team member morale and a professional, healthful atmosphere.
- Assist with Epic related decisions to evaluate workflows and best processes; collaborate with IT Applications Support, Compliance and others to facilitate process and workflow improvements.
- Evaluate policies and programs that support a clean, safe, efficient, financially viable and innovative environment for patients, doctors and staff
- Lead the integration of newly acquired practices and locations into the Physician Services Division.
- Integrate outside physician offices into the larger organization including medical records, systems, staff and workflow.
- Serve as the Liaison with Clinical Departmental Chairs for non-clinical operational and revenue cycle issues; provide subject matter expertise on non-clinical operational and revenue cycle issues.
- Collaborate with Departmental Chairs and leadership to develop volume and revenue targets that are aligned with operating expenses.
- Review professional revenue cycle performance and status on a regular basis to identify trends and oversee continuous improvement and course correction.
- Ensures performance expectations for practice leaders are measured and reported through a timely, clear and transparent system of metrics.
- Responsible for assuring that practices support timely and accurate billing and collection of fees across the physician enterprise.
- Assure operations across the physician enterprise achieve optimal patient, physician and staff satisfaction.
- In collaboration with PSD leadership of the physician enterprise, develop and maintain productivity and staffing benchmarks for physician practices.
- Participate in the development and execution of PSD initiatives with physicians for cost sharing and accountable care.
- Collaborate with Compliance to assure that practices operate in compliance with state, federal, accreditation and regulatory agency requirements
- Collaborate with Human Resources on employment, compensation and employee relations
- Collaborate with Information Technology to evaluate, introduce and implement effective technologies in practices.
- Oversee the directions of practice team members, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluate performance and make recommendations for personnel actions; motivate team members to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Evaluate purchases, contracts and services provided by external vendors to ensure best pricing and effective results.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master Degree of Business Administration, Healthcare Management, or Public Health.
- Preferred senior administrative experience at a large multi-specialty group practice or other significant and complex practice environment, preferably including significant experience in an academic medical center or major community teaching hospital.
- Broad, in-depth knowledge of the external forces and trends, legislation and regulations affecting healthcare and of developments in the financing and organization of outpatient and inpatient physician healthcare services.
- Sound financial skills encompassing health care accounting practices, managerial finance, financial analysis and revenue cycle management and ability to accurately analyze complex data and effectively communicate.
- Ability to build and manage relations with, and support, the activities of a sophisticated, diverse group of physicians as individuals.
- Personal characteristics which include tough-mindedness, self-motivation, high energy, diplomacy, creativity, high integrity, reasoned and thoughtful judgment, a sense of urgency, a balance between analytical and intuitive skills, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to “roll up his/her sleeves” and apply these attributes.
- A management style which emphasizes collegiality, teamwork, participation and communication.
- Outstanding interpersonal and verbal communication skills on an individual and group basis, excellent writing skills, and an executive demeanor and appearance.
- Ability to inspire others and to set a positive example for others by providing assistance, recognition, and encouragement; to identify and articulate clear meaningful goals; to focus the efforts of others; and to adapt well to changing conditions.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.