Radiation Therapist - Per Diem
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Radiation Therapist is responsible for the delivery of ionizing radiation to treat patients in accordance with the Radiation Oncologists prescription and Simulation Instructions.
A day in the life of a Radiation Therapist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Responsible for the safe and effective execution of the prescribed course of radiation therapy treatment delivery and assessment of images and the performance of diagnostic and interventional procedures.
Demonstrates competence in the following aspects of the practice including but not limited to:
a. Proficient in ARIA EMR.
b. Ensure informed consent has been obtained before initiating simulation and verify consent before delivering initial treatment
c. Escort patient into treatment room, properly position patient utilizing immobilization devices in accordance with Simulation Setup notes.
d. Obtain and evaluate patient images, implement corrective measures as necessary.
e. Successfully deliver appropriate treatment as prescribed by Radiation Oncologist.
f. Accurately complete all documents required for charting in CT Sim and daily treatment in Aria. Trained in Epic and can navigate through Epic to follow patient status and order transfer of patients. Documentation is an essential part of the radiation therapist to keep all team members aware of patient status and doctors' orders.
g. Prepare room and equipment ensuring a clean, safe, stocked work environment. Inform and instruct patients regarding equipment and procedures, schedules, and anything pertaining to their care path.
h. Perform all QA and morning warm ups on Linac and CT Sim, OBI matches and isocenter matches, record energy outputs, warm-up CBCT, KV/MV imaging, MPC and 6 degree of freedom couch QA, laser QA.
i. Perform pre-treatment chart checks prior to new patients starting. Ensure all documents are signed and all tasks are completed.
j. Routinely check and co-sign electronic charts. Maintain accurate records of the patient's treatment including documentation of any treatment changes.
2. Simulates treatment portals per Radiation Oncologist instructions using the CT simulator for the purpose of treatment field localization and verification, demonstrating competencies in the following aspects of practice including but not limited to:
a. Assessment of diagnostic studies for accurate field placement knowledge.
b. Prepare for and construct appropriate immobilization devices as well as all additional fabricated treatment items such as any oral/nasal shields, custom bolus, bite block etc.
c. Document precise, legible, and understandable information for treatment machine setup instructions.
d. Placement of marks, tattoos, and landmark points for accurate reproducibility of treatments.
e. Construct and mount individualized shielding blocks and electron cutouts with understanding of appropriate use and set up, follow instructions for use of custom bolus and understand placement instructions from the dosimetrist/physicist.
3. Ability to operate and record Quality Assurance Procedures and Warm Up as determined by the department policies for the following:
a. Treatment Machines
b. CT simulator
d. Treatment accessories
4. Assists with care management activities consistent and in compliance with accreditation/regulatory bodies to include (but not limited to) Joint Commission, ACRO or ACR, NJDOH, NJDEP.
5. Maintains timely execution of daily treatment appointment schedule in conjunction with patient transportation and patient care floors.
6. Review and understand treatment plans prior to treatment delivery. Ensure all dosimetry and physics notes are in the chart prior to first treatment delivery. Perform a 2-therapist initial chart check prior to patient's verification sim. Every new plan will be confirmed by 2 therapists, ensuring treatment parameters are clearly/accurately present and understood on plan. Confirm plan sent to treatment machine matches plan in the Aria chart. This will be journaled by a therapist performing a 2-therapist check. Ensure MD has signed and approved the plan.
7. Consistently maintains a clean, sanitized, organized, stocked (supplies / laundry) functional treatment room and CT Sim work area. Understands the importance of cleaning supply dry time used between patients and room turnover. Organizing the room to efficiently stay on schedule to best serve patients. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in the Radiation Oncology Department with special attention to patient care rooms. Bring any irregularities to the attention of appropriate leadership. Working knowledge of how to use XYZ Coordinates, reconstruct CT Images and send CT Images in a timely fashion.
8. Follows the HRO standards and routinely practices proper cleaning and hand hygiene with every patient.
9. Performs Daily 'Time Out ' with every patient encounter (CT Sim, Daily Treatment, HDR Procedure etc) as per HMH policy.
10. Observes equipment for proper operation and reports any malfunctions to Leadership, Physicist and/or Radiation Safety Officer.
11. Demonstrates full understanding of Treatment Machine 'Shut Down ' each evening. Understands and accurately places Gantry and Treatment Table in the recommended positions at the end of day.
12. Assists in teaching Radiation Therapy to students during their clinical rotation, onboarding & mentoring all new RTT hires and per diem RTT team members.
13. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, family, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.). Assess and respond to the patient's physical condition and special needs. Answers patient/family member's questions within professional scope regarding treatment and ensures patients receive educational packages at the beginning of treatment. Will verbally communicate with patients regarding their daily well-being and counsel patients as necessary on a routine basis.
14. Educate patients about care before, during and after radiation treatments about skin care and diet. Reinforcing education to patients and family on dietary best practices during and after the course of radiation treatment. Observe patients for reactions, signs and symptoms of physical and psychological stress on a daily basis referring patient to appropriate physician, nursing staff, Oncology Navigator, Dietician, or Social Worker,
15. Communicates clear and concise information to patients and family regarding radiation. Printed appointments are given to all patients confirming appointments. Understands the importance of maintaining a timely schedule, alerting leadership of any cause for delays directly affecting patient care and throughput.
16. Clear understanding of Daily Billing and CPT codes. Appropriately follows the guidelines for billing per the standard of hospital. Refers to billing template and Leadership for any questionable billing issues.
17. Follow all policies and procedures mandated by the Radiation Oncology Department and Hospital. Identify any variation of processes, report immediately and take appropriate action when necessary.
18. Will actively participate in the on-call schedule as mandated / needed by the Department Leadership if applicable.
19. For RMC, JSUMC, OMC, SOMC: RTTs cross cover across these campuses as needed.
20. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
21. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Graduate from an approved Radiation Therapy Program.
3. A working knowledge of Aria.
4. Demonstrates the ability to schedule, print schedules and work in Encounters.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. A minimum of 1 year of experience with Varian equipment / Truebeam / ARIA.
2. True Beam and CT anatomy.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Radiation Therapy License.
2. American Registry of Radiologic Technologists Certification - ARRT (T)
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.