Executive Director, Development, HUMC
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Healthcare Development, with a dotted line reporting to the Chief Hospital Executive (CHE), the Executive Director functions as the lead development officer for the general and active management of the affairs of the hospital foundation. Responsibilities include working collaboratively with the CHE to ensure the development and execution of approved fundraising plans and a comprehensive, integrated fundraising program, as well as monitoring of financial assets and fund allocation, in consultation with the hospital foundation Board and HMH Foundation Operations. The Executive Director provides leadership to the board to motivate and execute a comprehensive, compelling and successful fundraising plan.
A day in the life of an Executive Director, Development at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- In collaboration with the CHE and Senior Vice President of Healthcare Development, manage the affairs of the hospital foundation, including but not limited to:
- Developing, executing and monitoring a comprehensive development program; setting and achieving goals; legal, financial and general management; Board management and trustee recruitme Responsible for setting realistic, challenging goals and directing major gift activity aimed at meeting those goals within budget.
- Develop and maintain senior level communication with CHE, Board of Trustees and Senior Vice President of Healthcare Development to align priorities, goals and strategies in the creation and implementation of a comprehensive development program for the hospital. Maintain high visibility with and participate in management groups and maintain a regular physical presence at the medical center. Ensure that fund raising strategies are consistent with hospital and network goals and work closely with leaders on collaborative projects.
- Manage a portfolio of principal and major gift donors and prospects. Create and execute cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for donors and (At Hackensack University Medical Center, this position also serves as the primary fundraiser for the John Theurer Cancer Center.) Work closely with affiliated foundations to ensure appropriate solicitation and minimal duplication in crossover catchment areas.
- Provide leadership and support to the hospital foundation Board of Trustees. Recruit and orient new trustees, prepare annual budgets and plans, report regularly to board on progress against goals, motivate Board effectiveness and ensure the effective involvement of trustees with all hospital foundation activitie Effectively articulate strategy to the board, motivate trustees and direct board activities necessary to achieve results.
- Supervise and direct the activities of the hospital foundation staff, helping to set and monitor goals, manage prospects and close gifts.
- Oversee the coordination of activities with planned giving, annual fund, grants and strategic events departments for the successful implementation of related programs and achievement of goals in these areas.
- Engage board members and friends to host awareness building and networking forums. Recruit hosts for and coordinate appropriate cultivation gatherings of prospects at various educational, social and hospitality events. Manage cultivation events and internal constituency giving subcommittees and oversee management.
- Collaborate effectively as part of the hospital’s leadership team to ensure that the hospital’s philanthropy objectives are met through developing important relationships with physicians, nurses and staff to promote a culture of philanthropy and grateful patient prospect pipeline.
- Work collaboratively with physicians and helps to engage grateful patients in fundraising for the hospital. Must maintain patient confidentiality.
- Serve as needed on an on-call basis (including nights and weekends) for the Friends of the Foundation (FOF) program. Act as a liaison between program members, the Foundation, and clinicians and administrators, navigating the health care system on behalf of FOF program members, nurturing donor relationships, and providing continuity of a consistently high level of service. Express genuine compassion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- If applicable, participate in auxiliary meetings and events to help achieve compliance and to provide funding information, as well as secure auxiliary funding.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelors degree in related field
- Minimum of ten years professional experience in the development field
- Demonstrated success with major gifts and capital campaigns
- Established track record closing six and seven figure gifts independently
- Highly functional with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Highly articulate wand professional with strong oral and written communication skills
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master’s degree or specialized certification
- Experience managing legal, financial, and general management responsibilities for a not-for-profit organization.
- Experience in a healthcare environment ( hospital system)
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
- Experience working with Raiser’s Edge and/or other fundraising/CRM management software.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.