How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The EEG Technician performs a vital role in assisting physicians in diagnosing and treating patient conditions. The EEG Technician performs standard electroencephalographic examinations for patients as directed according to established standards and practices. Responsibilities include administering inpatient, long term video monitoring, and outpatient EEGs in a safe, timely, accurate and efficient manner. Other responsibilities may include placing electrodes for video monitoring in the interoperative setting, and providing patient and family education.
A day in the life of an EEG Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Receives and appropriately prioritizes assignments. Explains procedures and promotes patient cooperation during exams. Prepares patients for the procedure; applies suitable electrodes on predetermined measured positions on the patient's head and validates the performance of electrodes. Informs manager of procedures unable to be performed.
2. Checks patient charts for orders and obtains patient history and medications. Verifies order and documents medications and relevant history.
3. Utilizes hospital computer systems to check, schedule, order, complete order and, as needed, charge a patient.
4. Performs standard inpatient and outpatient electro- encephalographic procedures for patients as ordered by a physician. Procedures include, sleep EEGs, portable EEGs, including ICUs and cerebral silence recordings.
5. Performs evoked response tests; BAER's, VER's & SER's as ordered by physician.
6. Maintains all neurodiagnostic equipment in good working order. Inspects equipment for malfunctions, makes minor adjustments, and cleans equipment according to manufacturer recommendations and within established policy and procedure. Reports to manager/designee for major repairs.
7. Identifies changes in patient condition and notifies the patient's nurse and/or MD promptly.
9. Processes study for timely physician interpretation. Compiles relevant data for physician interpretation. Identifies appropriate physician to read results and places data in designated physician reading areas. Notifies physician when necessary of study requiring interpretation. Assures timely interpretation of study; informs managers of delays.
10. May assist in the transfer and/or transport of patients if needed. Assists patients to stretcher, chair, bed, etc.
11. Keeps abreast of current literature in the electro-neurodiagnostic field. Reviews relevant texts/journals and utilizes departmental resources and medical libraries. Recommends resources needed by the department. Continues to develop clinical knowledge and skills by following trends and new developments in the field.
11. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
12. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High school diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED), and/or GED equivalent program
2. Intermediate skills using diagnostic equipment and hospital systems.
3. Ability to work effectively with others in stressful circumstances.
4. Experience working in a team-oriented environment, as well as acting independently.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
6. Intermediate computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Minimum of 9 or more months of EEG clinical experience.
2. Experience working with the adult and pediatric population.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
2. ABRET Registered Technician (R.EEG.T) or completion of registration within 1 year of hire date.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist (R.EEG.T).
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.