How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at -home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier health-care system.
A Cook provides wholesome foods for the Food and Nutrition Department, checks temperatures and ensures all food safety compliances are met. Follows all guidelines for food storage, sanitation, food and preparations
- Performs all food preparation & cooking functions, maintaining all quality standards.
- Prepares food accurately following production sheets and using standardized recipes or other instructions as provided.
- Controls & adheres to all established procedures & State requirements regarding safe food handling, storage & service.
- Strict sanitation standards used at all times; hand washing practices, proper use of gloves, continuous sanitizing practices used on food contact surfaces, utensils, equipment, work station.
- Strictly monitor & maintain food temperatures at all times.
- Date & label all food items in storage.
- Use necessary food rotation practices.
- Operates cooking equipment following established procedures & safety precautions.
- Monitors & controls quantities of foods prepared. Readily makes adjustments as needed, following the customer or patient volume/demand.
- Informs the Production Supervisor/Chef of any problems relating to the production areas; equipment, food items, preparation or cooking procedures.
- Sets up & breaks down the food serving lines efficiently & timely.
- Leftover foods are to be stored properly & re-used efficiently. Reports leftover amounts to the Production Supervisor/Chef & co-workers to help utilize leftovers.
- Actively participates in cleaning assignments, overall sanitation, & housekeeping duties in the production areas with emphasis on individual work stations.
- Completes all assignments on daily production sheets & willingly assists co-workers as unscheduled production needs arise.
- Actively participates in hospital & departmental programs for Staff Development & quality improvement.
- Performs work mostly alone, but also as part of a team. Establishes & maintains efficient & effective relationships with all co-workers in the department & hospital
- Readily performs & offers cooperation as other tasks or duties may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Must have 2 years’ experience in cooking/culinary-preferably in a high volume, full service kitchen setting.
- Must be able to follow directions, regarding recipes adherence
- Must know cooking temperatures
- Good communication and customer service skills required
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays when needed.
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing patient needs, a strong sense of accountability for improving the lives of our patients and their caregivers, an exceptional focus on teamwork, dedication to ongoing education and the ability and passion to deliver the highest quality of care based on a strong sense of patient focus are all required.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.