How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Transcriptionist, HIM in the northern region of Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is responsible for interpreting and transcribing medical reports on operations, consultations, history and physical examinations, discharge summaries, progress records, electroencephalogram, bone densitometries, psychiatric evaluation and other reports for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians using transcribing and dictating systems.
A day in the life of a Transcriptionist, HIM at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Transcribes original medical dictation through the application of the competencies specified in the categories of English language usage, technology, medical knowledge and discrimination and integration.
- Transcribes reports for every specialty and subspecialty in medicine and surgery as well as dentistry and psychiatry.
- Operates designated word processing, dictation and transcription equipment.
- Recognizes, evaluates and interprets inconsistencies, discrepancies and inaccuracies in medical dictation and appropriately edits, revises and clarifies them while transcribing without altering the meaning of the document or changing the dictator¿s style.
- Proof reads and corrects transcribed medical reports.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the medicolegal implications and responsibilities related to the transcription of patient records to protect the patient and the institution including confidentiality, amendment of records, release of information, patients' rights, medical records as legal evidence, informed consent, etc.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma with approved medical transcription course or equivalent experience in all aspect of medical transcription.
- Minimum of 2 or more years of medical transcription experience in an acute care hospital or comparable service agency.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical medicine, surgery, diagnostic tests, radiology, pathology and pharmacology.
- Knowledge of medical transcription guidelines and practices.
- Minimum typing speed 60 word per minute and meets medical transcription accuracy standards of a minimum of 90% and productivity standard of a minimum of 9 minutes of dictation per hour with a minimum overall transcription performance rating of 86%.
- Ability to understand diverse accents and dialects and varying dictation styles.
- Ability to use designated reference materials.
- Proficiency in computer skills.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Medical Transcription Certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.