Support Specialist, Histology
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Support Specialist, Histology registers specimens into the SMS system, performs a variety of clerical duties relating to patient specimens, and answers inquiries regarding the status of patient results.
A day in the life of a Support Specialist, Histology at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Couriers specimens from various areas of the Medical Center and Medical Plaza at scheduled times.
- Verifies the accuracy of all patient data pertaining to the specimen container and corresponding requisition card and obtains the appropriate signature in all log books and flags all non-compliant specimens.
- Follows up with physicians' offices on any test request that does not have completed clinical information.
- Responsible for stamping each specimen card with time and date received.
- Records stones for chemical analysis and delivers to the appropriate area for disposition of specimen.
- Labels cassettes and assists the pathologist assistant in all clerical duties, including sending out specimens to reference labs.
- Searches computer for patient histories and combines encounters appropriately.
- Combines and reconciles trauma cases on a daily basis.
- Maintains a system for block and slide storage. This includes organizing and recording the deliveries and returns of older slides and blocks in a timely manner with scheduled trips to outside storage facilities.
- Registers specimens, utilizing appropriate tools available to perform this function accurately and free of error.
- Checks PIDX accurately to prevent duplicate medical record numbers, determines guarantor, and primary, secondary and/or tertiary insurance.
- Transcribes all insurance information using smart ID and utilizing diagnosis codes appropriately.
- Differentiates methods of registrations for various out-patient types, ie, RGE, SPE, LOP etc.
- Possesses a thorough working knowledge of both the laboratory and hospital computer systems and is able to perform all system functions necessary as it relates to results reporting and record keeping.
- Orders, receives, identifies, labels, centrifuges and distributes specimens to appropriate areas for testing accurately and free of errors.
- Screens incoming calls and provides information to appropriate medical personnel as needed.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Some computer experience.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Current matriculating high school student with science background or with secretarial or commercial school background.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Data entry and Epic knowledge
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.