Staffing & Bed Placement Coord
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Staffing Coordinator under the direction of the Nurse Manager or Administrative Supervisor (AS), performs accurate review, modify and correct employee schedules, timecards, punches and exception schedules, for staff assignment to nursing units. The Patient Placement Representative assumes the responsibility for patient throughput & bed management by identifying patient¿s needs and utilizing the resources available to facilitate optimum bed utilization. Places the patient in the right bed at the proper level of care. Is aware of and abides by all policies, procedures and medical board rulings as they pertain to bed assignments/ unit functions. (Example: isolation, medication administration, level of care, etc.).
1. Plans, organizes and prioritizes tasks and schedule to meet critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
2. Prepares, troubleshoot and resolve daily and future staffing and scheduling matters to maintain staffing guidelines to maximize the delivery of quality care and to minimize cost of patient care services.
3. Utilize and demonstrate in-depth working knowledge of interdepartmental and/or hospital wide computerized scheduling and staffing systems functionality in PeopleSoft, Clairvia, and Kaba.
4. Proficiency in Clairvia Scheduling System, PSOFT Time and Labor, includes the following tasks: a. Approves all absence and work schedule requests submitted through Clairvia Web. b. Posts and approves shift opportunities. c. Generates new schedules and brings in absence requests. d. Understands patterns and scheduling multiple jobs. e. Corrects overlapping schedules. f. Performs schedule edits and updates via Clairvia Client *Schedule and Daily Editor*. g. Ensures absences and schedule changes are in Clairvia by 12 pm on Pay Monday. h. Performs Timecard edits, such as entering missed punches, shift overrides, cancelled meal deductions during the pay period in PSOFT Time and Labor. i. Reviews and corrects all timecard exceptions during the pay period. j. Reviews timecards to ensure all schedules loaded from Clairvia. k. Reviews payable time for accuracy before timecard approval on Pay Tuesday in PSOFT Time and Labor. l. Ensures all timecards are complete, without exceptions, by 1 pm on Pay Tuesday.
5. Utilizes technology (M/S word, outlook, excel) to maintains staffing files, reports, prepares data related to staffing and scheduling, audits, and documentation efficiently and accurately.
6. Orders office supplies and maintains inventory.
7. Demonstrates ability to work with others to achieve and support the mission of the medical center including shared governance and the blue print of nursing.
8. Demonstrates accountability for professional development of self and peers, through formal and informal education and evaluation in collaboration with Learning and Performance.
9. Demonstrates effective communication skills therefore reducing barriers to communication for all staff.
10. Interact with customers particularly via phone, email & department walk-ins.
11. Executes bed management functions on multiple hospital computer systems to assign beds to incoming admissions in accordance with the policies, procedures, protocols, medical board rulings, philosophy of department and the Medical Center.
12. Prioritizes admission sources (Cath Lab, ETC, PACU) to minimize delays and enhance patient flow.
13. Prepares and distributes bed status report to executive staff, senior and medical leadership, department directors, etc. identifying bed availability.
14. Performs ongoing assessment in anticipation of patient needs based on volume or specialty requirements, i.e. isolation, organ transplants, etc., to minimize the need for blocked beds and allowing for the proper use of private rooms.
15. Reviews and expedites all in-house transfer requests in accordance with established policies in the following priority: medical (includes level of care ICU, intermediate, isolation, observation management, etc.), bed status, patient and family request.
16. On a daily basis, interacts with members of the medical staff as well as physician offices in processing patients for direct admission. Obtains all required information and communicates with the Nurse Manager / Director of Capacity Management in a timely manner.
17. Updates Patient Expiration book.
18. Performs electronic census balancing each shift to verify accommodation codes for billing purposes. Updates and revises accommodation codes based on changes in level of care to avoid / minimize denials by third party payers. In a disaster, provides real time bed availability to the command center for disaster management.
19. Calls patients at home (Direct Admits from home ONLY) with bed availability information as needed and forwards completed packet with ready room assignments to reception area or ETC.
20. Collects and disperses information on all aspect of patient admission, discharge, transfer and expiration to nursing units and all other affected parties.
21. Demonstrates the standards of behavior in accordance with the goals and mission of the medical center.
22. Collects patient documents for all elective admissions daily
23. Utilizes all downtime procedures when computer is in downtime mode.
24. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
25. Recognizes and responds to opportunities to promote and market HUMC.
26. Works directly with the transfer center to answer phone calls and coordinate MD to MD/RN/RN communication.
27. Prepare and present at daily huddles held at 8a, 1030a, 1230p and 330p.
28. Collects and enters information for the EDRS (Electronic Death Certificate Registry).
29. Notifies Doctors with each death to sign the EDRS.
30. Enters all Hospice admission information which includes logging and entering the patient reservation.
31. Checks all admitted patient¿s charts for discharge orders.
32. Change accommodation codes (SDS, SAC) to insure accurate billing.
33. Fax funeral information to morgue.
34. Deliver fetal death certificates to morgue.
35. Deliver autopsy consents to the Department of Pathology.
36. Track Oncology patient volume and coordinate bed placement based on severity of illness.
37. Track Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) patients and prioritize on arrival.
38. Track all Oncology patients for appropriateness for admission to oncology and document when patient is patient is admitted to an alternate bed based on bed availability.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. 3 years working experience in a healthcare setting, or similar field with customer service experience.
3. Anticipates throughput need needs, understands the expectations and responds appropriately.
4. Treats others with compassion, fairness, courtesy and respect while honoring their uniqueness.
5. Willingly works with others to identify and achieve common goals.
6. Enthusiastically approaches their role and displays pride in the organization.
7. Takes personal responsibility for doing the right thing.
8. Optimizes the talents of self and others and the use of time, materials and equipment.
9. Demonstrates exceptional communication skills along with excellent customer service skills.
10. Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating prioritizing skills.
11. Proficient in software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
12. Good organizational skills. Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision. Ability to communicate effectively (oral and in writing). Ability to work cooperatively within a team environment. Ability to effectively interact with customers to meet their needs. Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule. Ability to set priorities, make effective decisions, and respond quickly to customer's needs. Ability to recognize and deal with problematic situations and to prioritize.
13. Must be able to handle emotionally sensitive situations and interact with ill patients and their families while maintaining composure and professional demeanor. Uses discretion in confidential matters
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.