Senior Animal Caretaker
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Senior Animal Caretaker is responsible for the management of the sentinel animal health surveillance for the entire Animal Bio-Safety Level 2 and Animal Bio-Safety Level 3 areas of the Research Animal Facility. This position implements a new animal health reporting system and supports staff and researchers with handling and restraint of animals and administration of treatments.
A day in the life of Senior Animal Caretaker at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Becomes familiar with laboratory animals, their habits, and their needs.
- Maintains, scrubs, and disinfects animal cages, cage floors, and cage pans.
- Under Mgr, Animal Facility supervision , cleans and sanitizes cages, animal rooms, and related equipment.
- Feeds and waters animals according to the schedule.
- Maintains animal rooms in clean and odorless condition; and maintains room census daily.
- Weighs or restrains animals when required for various technical procedures.
- Collects voided urine and feces when requested in appropriate containers.
- Performs other duties as may be required for the maintenance and welfare of the animal colony.
- Monitors and manages the operation of the sterilizing autoclave and cage wash equipment including all in the ABSL2 and ABSL3 areas of the CDI which includes equipment in the Regional Biocontainment Laboratory.
- Responsible for reporting all computer-based reports on sterilizer and cage wash equipment functioning to the Mgr, Animal Facility and Dir, Animal Resources.
- Perform tasks related to animal biosafety in compliance with the CDC, USDA and all applicable regulations covering disinfection and cleaning of animal equipment and animal research infectious waste materials.
- Attends the laboratory animal husbandry course given in the department.
- Operate cage washer equipment, autoclave sterilization equipment, handling chemical products used for decontamination and cleaning of the facility.
- Recognize abnormal signs or unusual behavior in the animals, and reports any animal health concerns to the Mgr, Animal Facilities and/or Dir, Animal Facility.
- Unpack newly shipped animals received in the facility.
- Understands and adheres to all HMH compliance standards and policies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience.
- Mandatory six-month probation period to complete the required training for this position.
- Employment may be contingent upon successful completion of an FBI background check and other regulatory approvals for admittance to BSL3 facilities and/or select agent facilities.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- ALAT certification must be completed by 18 months of employment.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- ALAT certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.