How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Research Pharmacist is responsible for the review, evaluation, and coordination of investigational drug research studies in the Pharmacy.
1. Evaluates, interprets and coordinates information relating to drug research studies for the Pharmacy Department, including:
a. Committee and project participation as required for completion of assigned duties.
b. Human participant protection education.
c. Research protocol review.
d. Completion of Pharmacy assessment resource utilization for research studies.
e. Preparation of medication fact sheet for the research manual.
f. Preparation of drug information sheet for the floor nurse.
g. Enrollment, randomization, blinding, logging, preparation, dispensing, delivery, accounting and storage of investigational drugs.
h. In-servicing of appropriate pharmacy and medical personnel.
i. Participation in initiation visits, audits and closeouts.
j. Travel to start-up meetings when appropriate.
k. Tracking Pharmacy dispensing of research medication.
l. Weekend call as deemed necessary by management.
2. Complies with all state and federal regulations and Medical Center policies and procedures relating to drug dispensing, including appropriate handling of drug products, adherence to security procedures, and completion of necessary documentation. This includes appropriate control and dispensing of controlled dangerous substances and investigational drugs.
3. Provides accurate information to patients and health care professionals as required.
4. Calculates dosages for patients of different age groups.
5. Reviews and dispenses medication orders and clarifies any and all potential problems with orders.
6. Monitors patient drug therapy regimens for allergies, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, and potential adverse reactions.
7. Prepares admixtures using aseptic technique (e.g., IV solutions, TPN, chemotherapy).
8. Employs principles of safe medication practice as dictated by departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
9. Participates in the Pharmacy Practice Residency program as a preceptor and member of the Residency Advisory Committee.
10. Provides staffing coverage when necessary and depending upon assigned area(s) of research (e.g., oncology).
11. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.) This process includes communicating with the patient, parent and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
12. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Graduate of an ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy, or equivalent, with a minimum of a BS Pharmacy or a Pharm. D degree.
2. Work experience in a specific area of pharmacy practice may be required depending upon research responsibilities (e.g., oncology).
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Previous knowledge and/or experience with handling investigational drugs.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Registered Pharmacist License.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.