Physician Coding Manager
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Supervises the coding education staff responsible for coding, customer service, and education. Will oversee the EPIC template optimization and Meaningful Use initiatives. Responsible for the daily operation of the Outpatient coding section and has direct oversight of the Outpatient coders. Works in collaboration with the Director to ensure the integrity of coded data, the education and training of the Outpatient coding staff, as well as being a resource to the entire organization on issues related to outpatient coded data. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
- Develop and administer an ongoing Quality Review Program that seeks to ensure all coders are meeting a 95% accuracy rate while adhering to acceptable coding practices as defined by the ICD-10 CM Coding Guidelines.
- Responsible to track and trend daily and monthly key performance indicators in relations to the coding denials and audits.
- Establishes reporting communication to both the department administrator and division administrator for Front End coding activity, provider coding educations and coding trends.
- Responsible for recommending ongoing improvements to coding trends to further enhance financial outcomes for the departments.
- Evaluates existing processes and develop/implement policies where needed.
- Oversees coding for both clinical practice and diagnostic procedures including training, and supervising all coding coordinators.
- Oversight of coding procedures include: revising charge capture to reflect new CPT and ICD10 codes and creating more efficient ways to help staff/physicians.
- Remains current with all changes to specialty coding through participation in institutional and national training throughout the year.
- Collaborates with all divisional practice sites to implement a standardized 'Best Practice' approach.
- Collaborates with Compliance and department administrators to ensure corrective actions are being implemented as outlined by internal and external audits.
- Establishes relationship with external coding teams to ensure timely submission of claims with optimal coding.
- Assist ensuring system is updated in timely manner for all coding edits and all coding edits reflect current CPT/ICD codes.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH’s Organizational and Managerial competencies and standards of behavior.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in health information management or similar OR 3 relevant years of experience required in an acute care hospital or physician setting.
- Exhaustive knowledge of Outpatient coding and working knowledge of ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, NCCI, LCD, NCD edits and all regulatory requirements.
- Leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Acceptable coding or HIM certification, which include:
- RHIT, RHIA and/or CCS/CCS-P or CPC/CPC-H certification.
- CRC strongly preferred and/or must be obtained within first year of employment.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.