Pharmacy Tech, Ambulatory
The Pharmacy Tech, Ambulatory provides support for the registered pharmacist in the preparation and distribution of medications and works under the immediate personal supervision of a pharmacist in a retail and or ambulatory setting. Responsibilities include the filling of orders and maintenance of appropriate supply levels in filling areas.
- Prepares medication orders under the oversight of a registered pharmacist in a retail or ambulatory pharmacy setting.
- Assists the pharmacist in the maintenance of adequate drug supplies in filling areas and gives notification regarding the need to reorder supplies.
- Assures that the filling areas maintained in a neat and orderly manner.
- Refers requests for drug information to a registered pharmacist.
- Assists the pharmacist in maintaining the security of medication and supplies.
- Provides appropriate documentation wherever and whenever required.
- Assists in maintaining patient medication profiles and records.
- Assists with receiving, filling and selling of prescriptions.
- Checks stock for expired, unusable and excessive items.
- Performs tasks associated with automated equipment and maintains appropriate records as designated.
- Prepare medication compounds according to `recipe¿ once ingredients have been checked by the licensed pharmacist
- During each work shift, all ambulatory pharmacy technicians must follow workload procedures directed by the pharmacist on duty
- Assures accuracy and completeness of workflow processes. Ensure all entered orders are verified in a timely manner by the licensed pharmacist
- Ensure all guests/patients receive safe care. Maintain a ¿safety first¿ work ethic. Report any medication errors or medication variances as required by policy
- Assists in training new team members
- Assists in managing pharmacy inventory levels including ordering, stocking, repackaging, pulling outdated or short-dated inventory, and return of medications for credit or destruction as required
- Answers telephones in a timely manner and refer calls as necessary. The ambulatory pharmacy technician is the primary pharmacy representative for telephone contacts unless precluded by NJ Statutes limiting the authority of the registered pharmacy technician.(i.e. cannot accept ¿new¿ prescription orders)
- Ensure timely processing of prescription orders where renewal authorization is needed by initiating contact and follow-up with prescribing physician as required including processing of prescriptions requiring prior authorization or other third party-related issues
- Maintain refrigerator logs and any and all other logs/reports including end-of-month processing required by the pharmacist in charge
- Maintains the cleanliness of the pharmacy work area including work surfaces, dispensing machines, counting machines and all pharmaceutical grade manufacturing equipment
- Assures sufficient quantities of supplies needed in the dispensing process are available including vials, bottles, labels, paper, toners, prescription pads
- Ensures that completed prescriptions and any necessary documentation are filed according to established protocols
- Pickup of prescriptions and delivery of completed prescription orders to patient care areas
- Assists with Controlled Substance Audits and inventories as allowed 25. Attends to quality performance assignments 26. Assists ambulatory pharmacy department initiatives as needed 27. Lifts a minimum of 5 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 5 lbs. and stands a minimum of 4 hours a day. 28. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience in a hospital, ambulatory or retail pharmacy setting preferred
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid New Jersey Pharmacy Technician Registration
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.