Patient Access Associate I
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Patient Access Associate I assumes responsibility for the entire assigned ETD/Outpatient/Ambulatory /Admission registration processes, incorporating all complete and accurate patient demographic data captured. Ensuring all financial components obtained and committed to abide by Hackensack University Medical Center Quality Standards to facilitate and maintain positive guest relations.
A day in the life of a Patient Access Associate 1 at Hackensack Meridian can be described as follows:
- Accurately obtain, collect and enters all necessary patient information into the hospitals computer system to expedite efficient data collection, billing and hospital reimbursement during the Inpatient/Outpatient/Emergency registration services process.
- Manually register patients accurately when in downtime manual mode and properly follows input procedures when the registration system becomes available.
- Can work in all Admission Services areas within the hospital and may rotate shifts as needed.
- Request and collect from all patients where they have a pre-determined, patient out-of-pocket payment responsibility. Accurate and timely processing of all methods of acceptable payments such as cash/check/money order/credit card transactions.
- Reconciling daily cash drawer or shift payment transactions, depositing daily cash/check and providing patients with cash receipts, and maintaining daily reports as required.
- Types a minimum of 35 WPM. Meet departmental daily productivity and process standards
- Interviews patient and/family in the department, area of admission, point-of-service or on the telephone and acquiring as necessary, all information required for the registration process, in an accurate, professional, and sensitive manner.
- Maintain patient safety by thoroughly initiating an accurate patient search to prevent duplicate medical record numbers.
- Performing and initiating a real time eligibility (RTE) electronic insurance query on all eligible insurances.
- Reading, understanding, and where appropriate, take steps during the registration/pre-registration process that the RTE message instructions are followed to properly complete the account.
- Following established protocols when RTE is not available for proper follow-up to occur.
- Follow established registration data collection methods that are essential in capturing key financial data such as, but not limited to: guarantor of account, proper filing order of primary, secondary or tertiary insurance plans, point of origin, special needs, primary language, primary care provider, email address and other key elements covered in registration training and from periodic updates.
- Must be able to perform multiple functions, problem solve and maintain composure when dealing with stressful situations and utilizes appropriate resources.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills at all times with patients, visitors and co-workers too effectively and professionally represent HUMC Admission Services Center and the Medical Center.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local requirements by completing all essential forms with the patient.
- Essential forms include, but not limited to: Consent for Treatment and HIPAA.
- Distribute to patients the Admit/Pre-Admit packets, Important Message from Medicare and other key patient informational brochures promoting timely and proper reimbursement where appropriate.
- Responsible for timely completion of any assigned workqueue within determined time frames.
- Maintains operational knowledge and use at all times the machines in the department, including but not limited to: computers, laptops, computer-at-bedside (CAB), printers, scanners, photocopiers, and fax machines, and resolve basic equipment problems as they occur.
- Check email at least once each day to maintain timely updates on any process/task changes/updates.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, sexual preference, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
- Will comply with any and all related activities.
- Associates degree; or high school diploma with equivalent related experience required
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills required
- Knowledge of some medical terminology required
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Proficient in Desk Top Software applications including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, etc.).
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.