How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Pathologists’ Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting the pathologist with surgical specimens and other related duties.
A day in the life of a Pathologist Assistant at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists, under the supervision of the pathologist, in selection, preparation, and dissection of surgical tissue sections for routine microscopic examination, immunofluorescence, electron microscopy, and other studies where specified.
- Assists in photography and gross description of surgical specimens.
- .Ensures accuracy of surgical specimen patient information as well as accurate gross descriptions.
- Assists in the selection and preparation of tissue sections for intraoperative consultations (frozen section), including embedding tissue, cutting tissue on a cryostat, and staining of tissue slides.
- Procures fresh tissue samples for Biorepository tissue banking, ancillary studies such as cytogenetics, flow cytometry, and/or snap freezing for both therapeutic and research purposes.
- Utilizes the Faxitron to obtain x-ray images and sends them to the PACS system.
- Performs proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supplies, and cleanliness needed in the performance of gross anatomic dissection.
- Assists the pathologist in preparing materials for both intra- and interdepartmental teaching exercises.
- Performs all computer system functions necessary to achieve timely reporting of results.
- Assists support staff and/or pathology residents with, as directed by a pathologist, the performance of a post-mortem examination including photography, external examination, situ inspection, evisceration, dissection, recording of data, and any other related task if needed.
- Adheres to and meets both position-specific yearly competency assessments and the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
Master's degree from a NAACLS accredited institution as a pathologists¿ assistant with training that must include both didactic lectures and on-site clinical training in anatomic pathology, specifically surgical and autopsy pathology.
Bachelor degree must be in Health Sciences or other biological discipline. ASCP certification as an on-the-job trained PA with 10 years of experience in a hospital laboratory performing technical duties relating to anatomic pathology with documented competencies in prosecution of simple to complex specimens and autopsy.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- Master Degree.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or certification eligible
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.