How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Pathologist Assistant is responsible for assisting pathologist with autopsies and surgical specimens, including the clerical and technical collation of clinical data prior to examination.
A day in the life of a Pathology Assistant at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists, under the supervision of the pathologist, in selection and preparation of tissue blocks and sections for microscopic examination including frozen and permanent sections for light, electron and fluorescent microscopy.
- Assists the pathologist in examining and preparing surgical specimens.
- Assures correct logging and numbering of surgical specimens.
- Assists, under the supervision of the pathologist, in gross description and dissection of surgical specimens.
- Performs proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supplies and cleanliness needed in the performance of gross anatomic dissection.
- Photographs, as directed by the pathologist, the body, individual organs, specimens or such other items as are pertinent to obtaining complete and useful records of gross autopsy findings.
- Assists the pathologist at the performance of the prosection, including external examination, in situ inspection, evisceration, dissection, recording of data, dictation of descriptive information, and any such material relating to gross autopsy findings.
- Assists the pathologist in preparing materials for both intra- and interdepartmental teaching exercises.
- Assists in the coding and filing of autopsy and surgical pathology photographic files.
- Performs all computer system functions necessary to achieve timely reporting of results.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
- Bachelor's degree. Degree must be in Health Sciences or other biological discipline, the training to have included both didactic lectures and practical experience in anatomic pathology, specifically surgical and autopsy pathology is required
- Master's Degree is preferred
- Minimum of three years experience at a hospital laboratory performing technical duties relating to anatomic pathology is required
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.