Outpatient Coder III
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Fostering a culture of excellence within a collaborative environment, Hackensack Meridian Health is seeking talented professionals to implement and support innovative solutions & technologies. Our Information Technology team enables HMH to meet the changing demands of the healthcare marketplace by providing creative, high quality, efficient and effective solutions. Come join the HMH team as we recently rolled out Epic throughout our network and are looking for top talent to support this implementation.
Under the general direction of the Revenue Cycle Director and Coding Manger, Physician Services Division, this position’s primary responsibility is the coding of all professional charges for reimbursement, based on research and compliance with all federal regulations using the ICD-10-CM classification system and CPT-4 procedural codes.
HMH IT department has received many accolades from recognized organizations; including Most Wired and Fortune. Come join our winning IT team that was ranked as #1“Best Hospital IT Department” for the past two years by Health IT News.
A day in the life of Outpatient Coder III at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Abstract clinical information from a variety of medical records, charts and documents and assigns appropriate ICD-10-CM and/or CPT-4 procedural codes to patient records according to established procedures.
- Determines complex code assignment pertinent to diagnostic workups, surgical techniques, advanced technology and special services, identifies medical and surgical complications
- Utilizes the physician query process to obtain/validate missing information and/or discrepancies for clarification of documentation for accurate code assignment.
- Analyzes and codes charges in a timely and accurate manner to ensure quality data and timely review.
- Ensure all charges are submitted with a goal of zero errors by verifying completeness and accuracy of all charges prior to submission based on regulatory and payor guidelines.
- Reviews and completes all regulatory and coding edits/rejects in billing system.
- Performs follow-up complex coding of medical records as a result of internal or external reviews which have identified Coding discrepancies.
- Attends and participates in coding-related educational activities and management meetings, as directed.
- Stays abreast on state and federal coding regulations in order to utilize state of the art methods of accurate reimbursement.
- Completes assigned work ensuring department benchmarks are met or exceeded consistently in accordance with current industry standards and use of current technologies
- Maintains professional skills and remains engaged in the goals and vision of the organization to ensure the department functions efficiently and accurately with integrity
- Actively participates in staff meetings and offers constructive suggestions for improving the process.
- Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
- Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to the position as mandated by Hackensack Meridian Health.
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- Perform additional duties as requested by Supervisory or Management team.
- Adheres to HMH’s Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma with required certifications and/or Associate’s degree.
- A minimum of 2 or more years of relevant coding experience, with a high-level of coding expertise in the following areas and/or disciplines is required in the areas of:
- Risk Adjustment/HCC Coding
- Physician Coding
- Knowledge of Coding software and Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Advanced knowledge of ICD-10 official coding guidelines, including the use of AHA Coding Clinic or similar authoritative resources.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact with management personnel and the provider community.
- Possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, meet multiple deadlines and prioritize workload.
- Adaptive and flexible to new ideas and change.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Acceptable coding or HIM certification, which include: RHIT, RHIA and/or CCS/CCS-P or CPC/CPC-H certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- CRC and/or must be obtained within first year of employment.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.