Outpatient Coder II
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Fostering a culture of excellence within a collaborative environment, Hackensack Meridian Health is seeking talented professionals to implement and support innovative solutions & technologies. Our Information Technology team enables HMH to meet the changing demands of the healthcare marketplace by providing creative, high quality, efficient and effective solutions. Come join the HMH team as we recently rolled out Epic throughout our network and are looking for top talent to support this implementation.
Outpatient Coder II abstracts clinical information from a variety of medical records, charts and documents and assigns appropriate ICD-10 and/or CPT-4 codes to patient records according to established procedures. Works with coding databases and confirms APC assignments.
HMH IT department has received many accolades from recognized organizations; including Most Wired and Fortune. Come join our winning IT team that was ranked as #1“Best Hospital IT Department” for the past two years by Health IT News.
A day in the life of an Outpatient Coder II at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assigns ICD-10-CM or HCPCS codes creating APC group assignments. Abstracts pertinent information from Emergency Department records for both facility and professional services that were performed.
- Abstracts pertinent information from patient records and green bar report for outpatient services.
- Codes all appropriate diagnosis and procedure codes from results and reason for visit for ancillary services.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Reviews and abstracts clinical documentation for medical necessity, utilizing the current local and national coverage determination policies and other regulatory guidelines.
- Reviews OCE and CCI edits and resolves issues in order to finalize the account to ensure coding accuracy.
- Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements. Brings identified concerns to supervisor or department manager for resolution.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Performs data entry of coded/abstracted information for APC assignment into the Medical Center computer system.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Courses in Medical Terminology, Anatomy, and Physiology.
- Experience in deficiency analysis, registration, and basic coding courses.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in ancillary and/or emergency department coding.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Associate's degree.
- Encoder usage preferred with proficiency in computer skills.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.