Outpatient Coder - CPC or CCS
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Hackensack Meridian Health is hiring for Outpatient Coders at various experience levels for multiple openings. In these roles, you will be responsible for accurately abstracting data following the Official International Classification of Diseases (ICD)-10-Clinical Modification (CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Guidelines for Coding and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) directives for Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH). You will complete data entry of required abstracted patient information into the electronic medical record system.
This is a fully remote position. This position is full time, with flexible scheduling options during the week.
A day in the life of an Outpatient Coder includes:
- Assigns codes for reimbursements, research and compliance with regulatory requirements utilizing guidelines and coding conventions.
- Accounts for coding and abstracting of patient encounters, including diagnostic and procedural information, significant reportable elements, and complications.
- Analyzes medical records and identifies documentation deficiencies.
- Reviews and verifies documentation supports existing diagnoses, procedures and other charges.
- Identifies reportable elements, complications, and other quality measures.
- Communicates with physicians to clarify information via the physician query process
- Assign CPT, HCPCS and ICD-10-CM codes.
- Knowledge of and ability to address National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) and National Coverage Determinations (NCD) / Local coverage determinations (LCD) edits.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or higher.
- Minimum of 2+ years of coding experience. Strong understanding of physiology, medical terms and anatomy.
- Proficiency in computer skills including typing speed and accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms.
- Proficient in coding Emergency Department and Infusion based services such as Oncology.
- Proficient in coding Ancillary Accounts such as Diagnostic Radiology and Cardiology.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Multiple years of coding experience, Trauma Level 1 and Academic Teaching facility.
- Proficient in coding all outpatient services especially Operating Room procedures.
- Proficient in coding Observation and Procedure Room such as Endoscopies and Cardiac Cath
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- An approved American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) coding credential.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.