Obstetric Technician - Labor and Delivery - Full Time Days with benefits
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Obstetric Technician assists the nursing staff in providing care to selected female patients of childbearing age and newborn infants. This position draws intravenous and capillary blood from adult females and capillary blood from infants.
A day in the life of an Obstetric Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Provides direct care to the obstetric patient under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN).
- Takes and records vital signs reporting to the RN.
- Draws and labels intravenous blood specimens from obstetric patients using proper aseptic technique.
- Performs capillary blood glucose testing using an appropriate glucose meter reporting results to RN.
- Maintains proper level of supplies.
- Acts as a chaperone during procedures.
- Assists patients with ambulating as requested by the RN.
- Moves patients from bed to stretcher or wheelchair and reverse.
- Prepares patients for meals, and assists with feeding as needed.
- Assists with the admission process: obtaining vital signs and assisting patients with changing.
- Places patients on external fetal monitor and obtain appropriate tracings notifying RN of complete strips.
- Acts in the role of scrub assistant during obstetrical procedures maintaining aseptic technique and unit clerk.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of a scrub technician program; CST required.
- 0-1 years experience.
- Possesses a working knowledge of the computer system.
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.